Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a 2009 Mac get iMovie?

I’m interested in purchasing a late 2009 MacBook running high seirra. Can I get iMovie on the machine?

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 10:27 PM

High Sierra will run current iMovie 10.1.12. To confirm, go to the online app store, sign in with your Apple ID, search for the iMovie app and download it for free. If there is already a verion of iMovie on the computer you will first need to remove it because the computer was purchased with an Apple ID other than your own, and therefore you won't be able to update the old version. You can put it in the trash, but don't delete the trash, and then download the new vewsion.

I would do the above on the computer before you purchase the computer to verify that you can download the new version in case there is some unknown reason that prevents the download.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2019 10:27 PM in response to JoyousCaribou48

High Sierra will run current iMovie 10.1.12. To confirm, go to the online app store, sign in with your Apple ID, search for the iMovie app and download it for free. If there is already a verion of iMovie on the computer you will first need to remove it because the computer was purchased with an Apple ID other than your own, and therefore you won't be able to update the old version. You can put it in the trash, but don't delete the trash, and then download the new vewsion.

I would do the above on the computer before you purchase the computer to verify that you can download the new version in case there is some unknown reason that prevents the download.

-- Rich

Can a 2009 Mac get iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.