Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change iPhone settings to allow 'internal' calls abroad

Hi -

So my iPhone SE (purchased second hand off Amazon) - has a Thai sim card in it - which works fine for calls (with country extension) and internet data. (I am in Thailand).

However, it seems to automatically tag a UK +44 on the start of everything (this phone was purchased within UK and used to have a UK sim card), so this is annoying if I want to type somebody's number in I cannot just type the number in and press phone call - because it thinks I want to phone UK.

Also , I'm not sure if it is possible to phone regular services like the police or for example I'm trying to phone the immigration bureau now, it doesn't recognise the regular number 1178, and if I try +66 1178 that doesn't work either. (I haven't actually tried the police, but it is worrying to think that my phone wouldn't be able to phone them if I tried in an emergency!)

Thanks,

Chris

iPhone SE

Posted on Aug 5, 2019 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2019 7:02 AM

I would try turning off "Dial Assist" at the bottom of Settings | Phone. This should stop the phone from adding prefixes that you don't want. Also, convert all of your Contacts entries to international format by putting +66 (or +44) and removing the "0" intercity escape code.

One more thing... Your question made me remember a bit of voodoo that may help you. Go into Settings | General | Language & Region. Switch Region from Thailand to anything else, go out, come back in again and switch it back to Thailand. Sometimes this kicks loose the "stuck bit" that has your phone think it's living in the UK. Of course, if you never switched it from UK to Thailand, simply do that now.

Good luck.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2019 7:02 AM in response to SPLOXON

I would try turning off "Dial Assist" at the bottom of Settings | Phone. This should stop the phone from adding prefixes that you don't want. Also, convert all of your Contacts entries to international format by putting +66 (or +44) and removing the "0" intercity escape code.

One more thing... Your question made me remember a bit of voodoo that may help you. Go into Settings | General | Language & Region. Switch Region from Thailand to anything else, go out, come back in again and switch it back to Thailand. Sometimes this kicks loose the "stuck bit" that has your phone think it's living in the UK. Of course, if you never switched it from UK to Thailand, simply do that now.

Good luck.

Change iPhone settings to allow 'internal' calls abroad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.