Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I erase my old iMac of all my content ready to return to Apple or for sale.

I have Time Machine back-up and Have set up my new iMac. All I need to do is make sure the old iMac is properly erased. I have gone through all the iCloud issues to opt out and make sure this old iMac is not 'mine any more. Apple give a good description of how to do this in prep my device.

BUT I can't find the best way to securely delete everything off my old iMac

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

Aug 6, 2019 9:54 AM in response to Peter Dromgoole1

And it is still rather complicated. I went to your link - moved down to item 6 ‘Erase your hard drive and reinstall macOS’ and pressed the link.

Then had to go to ‘start up from MacOS recovery’ and other link - restart the Mac with cmd -R whihc did bring up the cleaver little Mac OS utilities which can reinstall Mac OS or Disk utility which can erase the ‘bit’ of my hard drive that has my ‘stuff’ and op system on it using a virtual disk!

I never managed to reinstall the MacOS as I would have had to log onto iCloud to do it (I think).

Restarted my iMac it comes back to the OS Utilities asking to reinstall OS X - so I hope anyone who picks it up (if it is not recycles) will be able to use it.

So got there in the end! - Would not have managed it with your link!!!

How do I erase my old iMac of all my content ready to return to Apple or for sale.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.