Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I truly optimise storage on my Mac?

I have a home laptop and a work laptop, both MacBook Pros. The home machine is set to "Download Originals" and store all my iCloud Photos, which is then backed up to Time Machine. It is my master library. The work machine is set to "Optimize Mac Storage", and I mainly use it for browsing and sporadic editing.

My work machine's Photos Library.photoslibrary file size currently stands at 31.74 GB. I have a 250 GB SSD, so this is over 12% of my entire storage. Since this is a work machine, I need all the available space I can get.

Is there a way of "resetting" the storage, so it effectively goes back to having no cache? I know that with iTunes, I can just delete the locally stored items and it just understands the files are no longer stored locally. It doesn't look as though I can do that with Photos.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 1:23 PM

Phots has no option to remove the downloaded files. as long as your Mac has some free storage it will keep the most recent downloads cached, so you do not have to download them over and over again.

If you want to clear the downloaded files, and you are sure, that all photos have been downloaded from iCloud, you could simply delete the current Photos Library on your work machine. Then start Photos again, with the option key ⌥ held down. Now select to create a new Photos Library. Enable this library as your system photo library in "Photos > Preferences > General". Make it your iCloud Photos Library in "Photos > Preferences > iCloud".

The library will begin to download from iCloud to the new, empty library, and initially be fully optimized.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2019 1:23 PM in response to Jowie

Phots has no option to remove the downloaded files. as long as your Mac has some free storage it will keep the most recent downloads cached, so you do not have to download them over and over again.

If you want to clear the downloaded files, and you are sure, that all photos have been downloaded from iCloud, you could simply delete the current Photos Library on your work machine. Then start Photos again, with the option key ⌥ held down. Now select to create a new Photos Library. Enable this library as your system photo library in "Photos > Preferences > General". Make it your iCloud Photos Library in "Photos > Preferences > iCloud".

The library will begin to download from iCloud to the new, empty library, and initially be fully optimized.

Aug 7, 2019 3:01 AM in response to léonie

That worked, thank you!

I tried this yesterday, however I left the original Photos Library file in the Trash rather than deleting it completely. Therefore, the system still saw it and wouldn't let me set a new System photo library. Once the file had been deleted from the Trash, I could set the new library to the new System library.

My library is now less than 2 GB. 😊

How do I truly optimise storage on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.