Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update my apps

Hi,

I have a MacBook Air and i have a problem with my app store. About 2 years ago, I created a new Apple ID. I was able to connect in Itunes and Apple Store and Icloud with my new ID but somehow, when I want to update my apps (like notes, numbers, imovie etc) it automatically puts my old Apple ID and it asks for my password. I don't use it anymore and i don't understand why it shows this ID when i'm connected in the store with my new ID. Oh and i can't change it. I only have the option to type my password. So i tried going on my old account and I deleted my MacBook from the devices using that account. I tried again, but now it just tells me that i can't update my apps using the account (the old) because it has been deactivated or deleted. It doesn't give me the possibility to log in with a new account or anything so basically i can't update my apps. I don't know how to fix this.

Thank you

MacBook

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 8:43 AM

When you purchase apps, they are forever tied to the AppleID you used for the initial purchase. Those purchase records do not transfer to any other AppleID you ever create.

You would have to delete those apps and repurchase them with the new AppleID.

In the future, understand you can change the primary email or backup email address(es) you use for your AppleID without needing to create a wholly new AppleID. See - Change your Apple ID - Apple Support - for instructions to edit the primary email address and contact information of your AppleID. Doing that does not alter the Apple service account(s) linked to that AppleID nor its purchase history.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2019 8:43 AM in response to yamila13

When you purchase apps, they are forever tied to the AppleID you used for the initial purchase. Those purchase records do not transfer to any other AppleID you ever create.

You would have to delete those apps and repurchase them with the new AppleID.

In the future, understand you can change the primary email or backup email address(es) you use for your AppleID without needing to create a wholly new AppleID. See - Change your Apple ID - Apple Support - for instructions to edit the primary email address and contact information of your AppleID. Doing that does not alter the Apple service account(s) linked to that AppleID nor its purchase history.

update my apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.