Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular Usage with Apple Watch

I was wondering if for use of cellular with the Apple Watch additional charges apply to a monthly data plan. Also, is connection to a cellular network required for the use of Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular even if it is connected to WiFi or my phone?

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 11:38 AM

First, yes there is a fee (I pay AT&T 4!)/monthly plus applicable taxes) to activate the Cellular feature. Second, you do not have to have Cellular activated if you have your iPhone within 30 feet of your Watch.

6 replies

Aug 6, 2019 4:42 PM in response to lindseymonaghan

You are not required to activate the cellular, and in that case it will behave just like a GPS only model, and will do everything a cellular model will do as long as the iPhone is nearby.

AT&T is $10/month extra on the iPhone cellular plan. Other carriers charge a similar amount.

You MUST make sure your iPhone carrier supports the Apple Watch is you want to use a cellular model.

If you just want a GOS only model, it does not matter what cellular carrier you have, the GPS model depends on the iPhone radios.

Anytime the Apple Watch can see the iPhone, it will use the iPhone radios to conserve Apple Watch battery life.

Aug 6, 2019 7:12 PM in response to julieda

Thanks. I was worried, as I thought I was bleeding AT&T for as many discounts as I possibly could. I get a FAN through my work which helps a lot and I'm always watching for changes to plans that allow you to change over and get additional discounts. Because I use AT& for the house and cell, I get a discount on my Directv, and get free HBO! Makes up for the additional $10 for the watch.

Cellular Usage with Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.