You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover data from an Iphone X stuck in recovery mode, which can't be updated by itunes with error message 14

Hi! I have an Iphone X, which is stuck in recovery mode (with an iTunes logo on the screen). I tried to use iTunes to update and received an error message 14, which says I can only restore the phone. However, there are a lot of pictures and videos in the phone, which were not backup. And I don't want to lose these pictures and videos.

Is there a way to recover the data in this recovery mode?

Many thanks!

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 7, 2019 6:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2019 7:11 AM

Follow the steps provided in this support guide about error 14:--> Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

If you solve that issue, read this:--> If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

But if iTunes still says you can only "restore" (instead of "update"), your data cannot be retrieved without a backup.

Regards

Giulio

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2019 7:11 AM in response to mingjie241

Follow the steps provided in this support guide about error 14:--> Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

If you solve that issue, read this:--> If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

But if iTunes still says you can only "restore" (instead of "update"), your data cannot be retrieved without a backup.

Regards

Giulio

How to recover data from an Iphone X stuck in recovery mode, which can't be updated by itunes with error message 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.