Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Starting without apps running in menu bar

Hello,

Most of the time I need my carefully selected menu bar apps,

but occasionally I need to start my Mac without any app running.

I thought there is a key combination to prevent all apps from opening

when logging in (including the menu bar apps), but I don't remember.

Does anyone know this?

Many thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 4:24 AM

Holding down the shift key as you boot will get you into safe mode. This will prevent any startup items from opening, but also any kernels and a number of facilities won't work.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

However that probably isn't what you want. It used to be the case that holding the shift key immediately after loggin in but before the Finder loads would prevent your startup applications from loading: however Apple's current documentation doesn't mention this so I don't know if it still works. Give it a try.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2019 4:24 AM in response to coxorange

Holding down the shift key as you boot will get you into safe mode. This will prevent any startup items from opening, but also any kernels and a number of facilities won't work.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

However that probably isn't what you want. It used to be the case that holding the shift key immediately after loggin in but before the Finder loads would prevent your startup applications from loading: however Apple's current documentation doesn't mention this so I don't know if it still works. Give it a try.

Starting without apps running in menu bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.