Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why apple watch series 4 counting steps while I am driving?

I recently bought apple watch series 4 and have been using it for more than 15 days now. The strange thing I observed that it is counting steps while I am driving or sitting in a car or short errands. Sometimes it counts 1000-1500 steps extra while I am driving. As per your suggestion on other help topics I also calibrated it recently, but its in vain. Can you please help me with it.

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 4:35 AM

The watch is detecting your arm movements as like the swinging action when you walk. Stop conducting the music on the car radio, or if you are gesturing to other drivers be sure to wave with all your fingers!

More seriously, yes it is seeing your arm movements as a walking action - but it seems excessive for short trip driving unless you are very energetic on twisting roads. Keep monitoring it, try the watch on your other arm on the next trip to see if it makes a difference. If the extra steps keep appearing your watch might have a faulty sensor but I would expect this to show up more than just drivig. You could consider contacting Apple Support and arrange to get the hardware checked.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2019 4:35 AM in response to swapnil_022

The watch is detecting your arm movements as like the swinging action when you walk. Stop conducting the music on the car radio, or if you are gesturing to other drivers be sure to wave with all your fingers!

More seriously, yes it is seeing your arm movements as a walking action - but it seems excessive for short trip driving unless you are very energetic on twisting roads. Keep monitoring it, try the watch on your other arm on the next trip to see if it makes a difference. If the extra steps keep appearing your watch might have a faulty sensor but I would expect this to show up more than just drivig. You could consider contacting Apple Support and arrange to get the hardware checked.

Why apple watch series 4 counting steps while I am driving?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.