Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

We have an iPad that is stuck in an unusable condition.

We had a user account on a model # A1474 that needed to be removed. Since we didn't have the password we couldn't do so. I decided to use iTunes to do a full restore to factory state and then use Apple Configurator 2.7 to restore one of our profiles to it.

in the iTunes-based restore process the serial # of the iPad was visible on the OS 10.14 Mac that it was connected to. Then the serial # was replaced by "N/A" and I got the message "Could Not Connect To The Device". Then I was told "The iPad xxxxxxx could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (9)." It is stuck with the power cord icon showing on it. I followed the same full restore process that has always worked: with iTunes on on the Mac, hold down the power & home buttons until first the apple then the power cord icon shows up, then connect the iPad cable to the Mac. This has never happened before.

I looked up the "9" error. I was told to replace the cable, which I did, and make sure the MacOS and iTunes were up to date - they were. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 7:16 AM

7 replies

Aug 9, 2019 7:56 AM in response to Tech7777

Hello,

Error 9 could point to anything that relates to the USB lead. I see you have tried another Lightning lead, have you tried using a different USB port? Let’s try taking a toothpick (or anything non metallic) to clean out any potential lent or debris that could be lodged into the Lightning port on your iPad. Let’s also try putting your iPad in DFU mode. Please refer to the following 3rd party website.

Website

We have an iPad that is stuck in an unusable condition.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.