Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t sign into app store.

Ive bought this MacBook Pro from someone online. They had not reset it yet, so I looked it up myself and did so. Im now trying to Install OS X (Macintosh HD) which asks to sign into app store. I do it & it sends a code to my phone, I put the code on the laptop & then get message pop up saying “This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later.”

It has been a few weeks.. I don’t know how to fix this.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 7:23 PM

If you are booted into the Recovery Partition when you see this error, it is usually because you haven't downloaded the OS version using your Apple ID.

You didn't post what model/year Mac it is, so the following may not work if your computer is an older computer. Try booting into Internet Recovery (command - option/alt - R on a restart). It is a slow process. This will install the newest OS that the computer is compatible with. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility. Then install the OS.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2019 7:23 PM in response to OS-X-El-Capitan

If you are booted into the Recovery Partition when you see this error, it is usually because you haven't downloaded the OS version using your Apple ID.

You didn't post what model/year Mac it is, so the following may not work if your computer is an older computer. Try booting into Internet Recovery (command - option/alt - R on a restart). It is a slow process. This will install the newest OS that the computer is compatible with. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility. Then install the OS.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Aug 9, 2019 11:33 AM in response to OS-X-El-Capitan

I've seen this before. While I don't know the reason for it, I do know of a fix. Use the Apple ID of someone who, in the past, has downloaded the update you want. So if you have a friend or a family member who will tap in their Apple ID and password instead of yours (your Mac won't remember their password, so they don't have to worry about giving their password to you!), the "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later" message hopefully won't appear.

Can’t sign into app store.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.