Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac freezes/unresponsive - a process called mediaanalysisd

I recently came across a problem where my MacBook freezes when i left it idle for few minutes. In order to figure out what was causing it, i opened Activity Monitor and then left it idle.

I saw that a process called "mediaanalysisd" was causing the problem. I tried the solution mentioned here : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7965601?page=2 . But no matter what I tried i could not delete that file. So I figured out a solution of my own which i will comment below.

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 8:06 PM

Since i could not delete com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist , i solved this problem by repairing photos albums.

1. Exit Photos App - If it is open
  2. Hold down the Option and Command keys and then open Photos App (keep holding the keys)
  3. Let go of the keys - In the dialog that appears, click Repair to start the repair process.
  4. Once done, exit Photos
  5. Leave your Mac idle for for sometime - it will no longer freeze

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2019 8:06 PM in response to JanukaHW

Since i could not delete com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist , i solved this problem by repairing photos albums.

1. Exit Photos App - If it is open
  2. Hold down the Option and Command keys and then open Photos App (keep holding the keys)
  3. Let go of the keys - In the dialog that appears, click Repair to start the repair process.
  4. Once done, exit Photos
  5. Leave your Mac idle for for sometime - it will no longer freeze

Aug 9, 2019 11:13 PM in response to JanukaHW

UPDATED Steps - I ran into a bit of trouble again, this time with photoanalysisd

To leave no space for errors follow these steps.

Exit Photos App - If it is open

1. Hold down the Option and Command keys and then open Photos App (keep holding the keys)
  2. Let go of the keys - In the dialog that appears, click Repair to start the repair process.
  3. Once done, exit Photos
  4. Open Photos again
  5. Open one photo from each of your albums (e.g vacation 1, vacation 2)
  6. Some of the photos you open *might* give an error saying "Cannot locate original" - in this case you need to choose the folder again manually
  7. Done! Leave your Mac idle for for sometime - it will no longer freeze

Mac freezes/unresponsive - a process called mediaanalysisd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.