Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up a child account with only 1 Apple device?

I bought an ipad for my child who needs it for school. This is the only Apple product we own. I'm struggling to lock the account down from purchasing things, because I haven't been able to figure out how to set up a parent/child account with 1 device (it's saying I need 1 parent device and 1 child device). Is there any way to do this from a PC or android device or am I stuck dropping another $250 for another iPad to be able to limit my child's account?

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 9:44 AM

I solved it, though it's a bit laborious.

I set up family settings via my main account on the ipad, including my child's restrictions. I then had to log out of the ipad, then recover my child's account onto it.

Any additional changes will require logging out of my child's count and back into the main... this would be 100x easier if I could do it via the web.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2019 9:44 AM in response to jwhere1

I solved it, though it's a bit laborious.

I set up family settings via my main account on the ipad, including my child's restrictions. I then had to log out of the ipad, then recover my child's account onto it.

Any additional changes will require logging out of my child's count and back into the main... this would be 100x easier if I could do it via the web.

How to set up a child account with only 1 Apple device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.