Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mc Book Pro with Mavericks 10.14.6 fails to wake up

Mac Book Pro with Mavericks 10.14.6 fails to wake up

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 10:25 PM

Thanks all for the assistance - I removed some of the software showing up in the report (Kernel extensions , Launch agents etc) and have made sure that no external devices are left attached when putting the Pro to sleep.

I have not had the slow wake up for at least 10 days now with multiple wake up during each day - so safe to say that the problem has been resolved .

Again Thanks to All for the advice.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2019 10:25 PM in response to PatrickJT

Thanks all for the assistance - I removed some of the software showing up in the report (Kernel extensions , Launch agents etc) and have made sure that no external devices are left attached when putting the Pro to sleep.

I have not had the slow wake up for at least 10 days now with multiple wake up during each day - so safe to say that the problem has been resolved .

Again Thanks to All for the advice.

Aug 12, 2019 9:57 AM in response to PatrickJT

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Aug 12, 2019 9:50 AM in response to Eric Root

Apologies for the slow reply , and I'm running Mojave, what happens is the wake up is sooo slow compared to what it use to be.

I installed Mojave some months ago & wake-up has been normal until the 10th of this month.

I have down loaded & installed the 10.14 Supplemental update but this has not solved the problem , I still have an intermittent problem.

I will try the 'fixes' mentioned in the CNET article next.

Aug 12, 2019 2:02 PM in response to PatrickJT

When you say "Slow", is that slow to light the screen, and allow you to move the cursor, select apps, type in apps, etc...

Or is "Slow" referring to a long delay before you can access the internet. Since a lot of what people do involves the internet, an email, web browser, etc... that is waiting for your network to connect may appear slow, hence my asking what kind of slow.

If network, check

System Preferences -> Network -> Wi-Fi selected on the Left -> Advanced -> Wi-Fi -> Preferred Networks

and make sure your WiFi network is at or near the top of the list. If it is not, drag it to the top of the list.

After waking up, macOS will go through every WiFi network in the "Preferred Networks" list and check if that network is available in the order displayed. If your network is way down the list, it can take awhile before macOS gets to your network.

Also the Preferred Networks list is shared via iCloud -> Keychain sharing, so you can inherit a Preferred Network list from another one of your device and/or you can propagate your macOS list to your other Apple devices.

If it has nothing to do with the networking, then please do the Safe mode test, and Please provide the requested EtreCheck output. That will help us a lot in seeing what might be affecting your system.

Aug 12, 2019 10:18 PM in response to BobHarris

Tks for the reply Bob , what happens is that it can take like 30 to 45 seconds for the blank screen to clear before requesting my password to log on whereas in the past it was virtually instantaneous.

Also pse all bear in mind that this occurs Intermittently ! Out of 4 or 5 'sleep' times a day it can occur maybe twice.

My home WiFi network is set as the preferred network.

I have set up another Admin a/c as suggested by Eric & overnight it 'woke-up' normally this morning.

Will report back later today after a number of 'sleep' times during the day, using both admin sign-ons if I can.

Aug 13, 2019 4:51 PM in response to PatrickJT

You have a lot of 3rd party software installed, especially kernel extensions, so please do the "Safe" mode test.

And your creating a new account is a good way to see if it is any of the Startup Items in the original account that you do not start in the new account.

EtreCheck thinks you have 2 anti-virus packages:

Suggest removing ESET anti-virus package.

MalwareBytes is OK, as A) it was actually written by a long time forum contributor and B) it has shown itself to actually be useful without causing problem. We cannot say that for other A/V packages.

I suspect you have external devices plugged into your Mac. If I am correct, unplug them and see if that has any effect.

You might go through the list of kernel extensions, launch agents and daemons and see if any of that software is something from years ago and you no longer use it. Consider removing it.

Finally, you have a rotational disk in that Mac. And it is 7 years old. Rotational disks to take turns for the worse, and it is possible that the drive is failing. I'm not saying it is, and if you can eliminate your problem via software fixes, all the better. But if software fixes do not solve the problem, consider either replacing the rotating hard disk with an SSD <http://MacSales.com>,

Or just getting a new Mac that will come with an SSD. Again, ONLY go down this path if nothing else seems to solve the problem.

Aug 13, 2019 9:18 PM in response to BobHarris

Thanks Bob , Noted ; I'm pleased to report that I haven't had the problem in the last 2 days ( with my original sign-on ).

However I will check thru' the Kernel extensions , Launch agents etc & see what can be removed.

BTW the only external device I use is a USB hard drive for back ups , I normally unplug that first thing in the a.m. but can't remember if ita was perhaps still attached when I ran the ETRE check.

Re the SSD drive I have been considering that but was waiting hopefully for the prices to come down - with the exchange rate of the South African Rand atover 14 to the US$ local prices are crazy.

Thanks again will report back in a while.

Mc Book Pro with Mavericks 10.14.6 fails to wake up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.