Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fall Detection

My Apple 4 watch does not detect falls? I've had two bad falls and nothing. I have set up fall detection but it is not working.

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 11:43 AM

It should be working. If you entered your age in the Health App it gets turned on automatically for Senior Citizens. Check out this link....HT208944

If you still have a problem, click on the "Contact Support

link at the upper right side of this page.

10 replies

Aug 10, 2019 11:44 AM in response to Gloria1127

How did you fall? How fall detection works is based on the accelerometer in the watch, and the motion before the fall. It is very difficult to test the system, has it ever worked? See this about Fall Detection, Use fall detection with Apple Watch Series 4 - Apple Support

I'm not sure if Apple has anything for testing the system, but you can make a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store if you wish to have it checked.

Aug 13, 2019 11:24 AM in response to amusinglisa1

It is not up to me to determine usefulness, however I would certainly contact Apple about that, and have the watch checked. No one here works for Apple, however outliers like yours, where there is a severe fall and no detection are things that Apple would probably like to know about. I would make a Genius Bar appointment to have them examine the watch, and you can share your experience with them. You can also share it with Apple using their feedback page here, Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

Aug 10, 2019 1:22 PM in response to Gloria1127

Okay. I've not fallen with mine, however I have had a couple of false positives. One I was kidding around and slapped my left hand down on the counter (I wear the watch on my left wrist) and it was a positive, and the second was just a week ago. My wife bought a new side table and I was putting it together and there were wooden dowels that held the two pieces together and I it the one side hard to seat it with my left hand, and again a false positive. I think they may need to look at a way to fine tune the settings to do a little better job at detecting it, but I'm afraid at the same time it could lead to more false positives. Good luck.

Fall Detection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.