Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water Damaged XS Max

I am living in Jamaica and my boyfriend has damaged the screen of his XS Max at the beach. The device does power on or off with a hard reset but there screen is dead (cannot be touched or shows any response). Are we able to get a screen from Apple or any of its Authorized service providers?

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 11:10 AM

At this point it's unlikely. If enough water entered to damage the screen assembly or connectors, it's likely that the liquid contact indicators would show that the board has been exposed to water. And salt water is especially nasty. Even if the logic board is in perfect working condition, those indicators triggering basically disqualify an iPhone for simple repairs like a screen assembly replacement.

The only thing that an AASP (in your case) would provide would be a complete replacement for less than buying a new one. It would most likely be a designated replacement device that could be new or reburbished. It will come in a plain box without any of the accessories. Also - it gets tricky if the iPhone was purchased somewhere else (or gray market), as distribution is usually limited to the country in which the iPhone was supposed to be distributed. We've heard of plenty of comments here that a customer was told that an iPhone could only be serviced in a particular country.

If you're concerned with getting data off the device and you can live with Apple not providing a replacement, you might be able to pay someone to attempt a temporary repair. I can't give you any specific recommendations.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2019 11:10 AM in response to StaciiSlimm

At this point it's unlikely. If enough water entered to damage the screen assembly or connectors, it's likely that the liquid contact indicators would show that the board has been exposed to water. And salt water is especially nasty. Even if the logic board is in perfect working condition, those indicators triggering basically disqualify an iPhone for simple repairs like a screen assembly replacement.

The only thing that an AASP (in your case) would provide would be a complete replacement for less than buying a new one. It would most likely be a designated replacement device that could be new or reburbished. It will come in a plain box without any of the accessories. Also - it gets tricky if the iPhone was purchased somewhere else (or gray market), as distribution is usually limited to the country in which the iPhone was supposed to be distributed. We've heard of plenty of comments here that a customer was told that an iPhone could only be serviced in a particular country.

If you're concerned with getting data off the device and you can live with Apple not providing a replacement, you might be able to pay someone to attempt a temporary repair. I can't give you any specific recommendations.

Aug 11, 2019 11:28 AM in response to StaciiSlimm

StaciiSlimm wrote:
I was thinking the same but had hopes that maybe there was another solution. So I guess we need to get a screen, super depressing. Thanks a lot for the info though, it was really helpful.

There's a chance that a new screen assembly alone won't fix it. Any kind of official Apple repair isn't likely to just replace the screen assembly from all the particulars you described. Third party repair is also very tricky. Especially with the OLED models there's a lot of junk out there, including some third party displays that are actually LCDs and try to rig it to work with voltage converters.

Do you need the data though?

Water Damaged XS Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.