Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system files

Hi, my system files take upp more than half of HD. Doesn't leave me much to work with. Is this right?

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 1:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 2:52 AM

I suggest that you boot into Recovery ⌘-R, and run Disk Utility First Aid. Then boot into Safe Boot mode, and then reboot normally. For Safe Boot mode, press and hold the shift key on power-up until you see progress. This will take far longer than an ordinary boot because of additional administration that is occurring.

If you want the true storage status of your Mac, right-click on the startup drive icon in the upper-right of your screen and perform a Show Info with option+command+i. Look at the Available and Used fields from that panel.

I never pay attention to the often confusing information panel that you have shown from menu : About This Mac : Storage tab.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2019 2:52 AM in response to susanne199

I suggest that you boot into Recovery ⌘-R, and run Disk Utility First Aid. Then boot into Safe Boot mode, and then reboot normally. For Safe Boot mode, press and hold the shift key on power-up until you see progress. This will take far longer than an ordinary boot because of additional administration that is occurring.

If you want the true storage status of your Mac, right-click on the startup drive icon in the upper-right of your screen and perform a Show Info with option+command+i. Look at the Available and Used fields from that panel.

I never pay attention to the often confusing information panel that you have shown from menu : About This Mac : Storage tab.

system files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.