You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unasked for translations of my emails

My emails are translating into Greek by the time my colleagues get them. They have tried to send the words in Greek back to me, but I just get them in english.

It appears that overnight, my email programme - Mail - is translating things as I send them out, but not showing me that it's doing this and then translating them back to english for me.

Can anyone help? Advice very welcome.

I'm on MacOS Mojave, and am just doing an update in case it's that simple.

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 6:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 5:30 AM

Thanks for the emails!

It turns out there is no actual translation, the recipient machine is just replacing your English text with the corresponding Greek characters. This indicates the recipient is using a bad font.

The internal code of your email appears to be indicating the font called "Symbol" should be used for your text. Symbol is a legacy non-Unicode Windows font which replaces Latin with Greek (it was intended for math/science stuff). It really should not be used any more, but many Windows machines still have it. Machines that don't have it will replace it with something normal and will not show Greek letters.

Perhaps there is some way to make sure your outgoing emails use a different font, like Times New Roman or Helvetica?

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2019 5:30 AM in response to Murielsomerset

Thanks for the emails!

It turns out there is no actual translation, the recipient machine is just replacing your English text with the corresponding Greek characters. This indicates the recipient is using a bad font.

The internal code of your email appears to be indicating the font called "Symbol" should be used for your text. Symbol is a legacy non-Unicode Windows font which replaces Latin with Greek (it was intended for math/science stuff). It really should not be used any more, but many Windows machines still have it. Machines that don't have it will replace it with something normal and will not show Greek letters.

Perhaps there is some way to make sure your outgoing emails use a different font, like Times New Roman or Helvetica?

Aug 13, 2019 6:17 AM in response to Murielsomerset

I just sent Greek text from one U.S. based email account to a different U.S. based email account (different ISP) and no translation occurred when sending or receiving the original Greek text through Apple Mail. The translation that you are experiencing may be occurring at the ISP Mail server level, or between the respective countries, but I doubt it is the result of Apple Mail.

Aug 14, 2019 2:55 AM in response to Murielsomerset

Murielsomerset wrote:

My emails are translating into Greek by the time my colleagues get them. They have tried to send the words in Greek back to me, but I just get them in english.

I don't think it is really being translated. This kind of thing can happen when at the receiving end some junk Greek font (of the type sometimes used for Bible studies) gets used to display your English text. Or via an encoding glitch.

Ask the recipient to send you a screen shot or image of your text and post it here, so we can verify what is happening. Also resend (Mail > Message > Send Again) one of these messages to me (thgewecke at gmail dot com).

unasked for translations of my emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.