Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone remotely hacked and cloned

Keep in mind Apple is offering One Million for researchers if they find security( hacked, cloned) issues with the Iphone

My Apple account was remotely hacked. Somehow an individual(s) were able to remotely gain access to both my Apple ID and device. They managed to override my own mobile number by replacing it with theirs. By doing this these individual(s) took complete control of my device/phone number. I believe the term for this is “device cloning”? Somehow they were capable of doing this without my knowledge.

Does anyone know how this could be possible or experienced something similar? This unknown phone number was never visible when searching through my Apple account or device.

Early 2018 I noticed odd things happening to my iPhone, for example the iPhone not keeping charged battery. This was easily dismissed due to announcement of battery problems. One day I turned my iPhone’s location feature off and an unknown telephone number remotely placed my iPhone into lost mode. I was locked out of my own phone.

This was an unknown phone number that has no known association with my Apple or carrier accounts. I immediately contacted both companies and reported the incident. During the call with Apple Support I followed all instructions on re-securing my Apple account which included changing my password. I was instructed to go through settings, login to my account with my new password, etc.. At the end of this call I was “reassured” by an Apple Support Supervisor that my account was now safe.

The following day I attempted to login to my Apple account through the Apple website. This was my first attempt at logging in that day with my new password. However, I was unable to gain access. Apple’s website stated that my account was locked, being evaluated and within 3-days I would receive a verification code texted to the number listed at the bottom of the screen. The number listed was not mine. It was the same number that had remotely hacked my iPhone the previous day. 

The same hacker was able to gain access to my Apple ID and change my password less than 24-hours AFTER reporting and re-securing my account with Apple Support. How is that possible?

No one has direct access to my iPhone. It is password protected. I do not use any other devices (mac, iPad). I have not shared my Apple ID or password with anyone. My account has always had 2-factor authentication enabled. I never click on strange text or email links. 

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 2:26 PM

You right on everything ur talking about. all we can do is document everything and make apple pay for our phones being cloned and keep them from covering it up. TRUST ME I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 10, 2019 10:02 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Sims can be cloned and IMEI’S can be hacked though.... I sure wish I know how to stop this... I have an unholy crazy of an ex and it seems he is very determined to know my every move to use it against me or to put me in places i shouldn’t be doing crazy things all so he can win custody of our daughter.

iPhones are supposed to be the best in security.... this is an issue that needs some serious attention.

Sep 10, 2019 10:00 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

My last 6 iPhones (this year and all XS Max’s) keep getting hacked. I looks as if they use accessibility features once they gain control of it. They have the ability to use my screen to authenticate themselves receiving my temporary codes for 2FA then they can change my passcode and my screen time passcode, delete apps, install apps, import pictures. I never have any safety or security because I am being singled out. My soon to be ex-husband keeps having my accounts broken in to then from one account to the next they take over every new email or accounts and apple ID’s they want bc they can see my screen and use transparent overlays that allow them to use another device connected somehow to mine and they will retype my password at the same time I think I am typing it, but EVERY TIME I go to use the password I made it NEVER WORKS. Then it’s game over from there....

I’m divorcing, sleep alone, doors locked, but my WiFi may be compromised, but even on this latest phone I never even connected it to my WiFi and slept with it under my pillow.

There has got to be something that can be done, do you realize how much money that is in apple devices that I loved and haven’t been able to enjoy at all like regular people because at any time....poof! My pictures delete then new ones are imported.

I even locked it down via screen time and and alpha numeric passcode and I don’t use icloud and only ever sign in to iTunes for apps

Aug 13, 2019 7:25 PM in response to hblack45

1 - My phone has not been Jail broken my phone only a couple old that came from apple

2 - I have several pictures of my phone that been cloned, my texts double new messages i've sent a person

3 - I have 2 factor authentication on my account and my password is not weak it 12 letters long and i change it every 2 months

IMEI, information can be used to create a SIM card, which can then be inserted into any phone. From there, phone calls and texts are sent and received as though you are the person on the other end of that number.

FaceTime allows the caller to listen in on the receiver’s iPhone, even if that person has not picked up the call, according to multiple news reports and users it shows as interrupting facetime

On my itunes account there are two phones show up with my number and another with my serial number with no number. I have pictures to support it.

No I have not hooked up another phone to my Itunes account

Aug 14, 2019 2:31 AM in response to hblack45

All of what you describe can be explained by a hacked Apple ID. No, a SIM cannot be cloned from the IMEI, and how would anyone know your IMEI unless you told it to them?

There is a hack called a SIM swap, where someone pretending to be you calls your carrier and requests a new number and gets a new SIM, but in that case your phone would stop working for voice and data. And you can check that easily by calling your carrier.

Aug 13, 2019 5:48 PM in response to hblack45

No, your Apple ID may have been hacked, but your phone was not unless you jailbroke it. And iPhones cannot be cloned. If they could be the FBI would not have had to pay $1 million to get into ONE specific phone. And the method they used will no longer work.

They hacked your Apple ID, probably because you didn't have 2 factor authentication on your account, or you had a weak password, or both. Or perhaps they had stolen your identity (which is trivially easy after the Equifax hack), called Apple, and knew enough about you to convince the Apple rep that they were you, and had your password reset. Which is one of the reasons Apple now insists that all new accounts have 2 factor authentication.

They then turned off Activation Lock on your phone because it is controlled from your Apple ID, and they added their phone to your Apple ID. And, because they had hacked your Apple ID they could sync everything you synced to iCloud to their phone, and they could restore whatever iCloud backups you had to their phone.

And the way they could do it a day later is they still had all of your personal information and could call Apple and again get your password reset, because you didn't have 2 factor authentication.

iPhone remotely hacked and cloned

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.