Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My email gets hung up when sending several different attachments via mail

It pulls the whole files instead of an specific file. Once I correct this it gets hung up and I have to force quit mail

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 3:09 PM

kenia162 wrote:

Thanks. Let me explain. I write the email then I use the Clíp for attachment, takes me to documents, then a folder among my documents so that I can choose a file to attach. When I do this it pulls the whole folder. I correct and finally attach the file and another small file and it gets hung up. They are small files. And yes I do have mail drop but since they are small one it’s not necessary.

All of the file and folder entries in that dialog that are highlighted will be added when you select Choose File.

I'm going to guess that you're using the name view in that dialog, and that you're clicking on the disclosure triangle to the left of the folder name to see the files within the folder, and—if you leave the folder highlighted when you press Choose File—that means the entire contents of the folder will (also) be selected and added. Which is what you're reporting.

Control-click to unselect the folder, if that is what is happening here.

Or you can double-click on a folder to see just its contents in the selection dialog.

Apple has a description of the selection process available, too.

If you select a folder with substantial contents, macOS is going to prepare to do that.

As has been mentioned, you can also open the folder with the desired file using Finder, and then drag the attachment directly from the Finder window into the message compose window.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2019 3:09 PM in response to kenia162

kenia162 wrote:

Thanks. Let me explain. I write the email then I use the Clíp for attachment, takes me to documents, then a folder among my documents so that I can choose a file to attach. When I do this it pulls the whole folder. I correct and finally attach the file and another small file and it gets hung up. They are small files. And yes I do have mail drop but since they are small one it’s not necessary.

All of the file and folder entries in that dialog that are highlighted will be added when you select Choose File.

I'm going to guess that you're using the name view in that dialog, and that you're clicking on the disclosure triangle to the left of the folder name to see the files within the folder, and—if you leave the folder highlighted when you press Choose File—that means the entire contents of the folder will (also) be selected and added. Which is what you're reporting.

Control-click to unselect the folder, if that is what is happening here.

Or you can double-click on a folder to see just its contents in the selection dialog.

Apple has a description of the selection process available, too.

If you select a folder with substantial contents, macOS is going to prepare to do that.

As has been mentioned, you can also open the folder with the desired file using Finder, and then drag the attachment directly from the Finder window into the message compose window.

Aug 14, 2019 1:21 PM in response to kenia162

I'm going to assume this is Apple Mail, and not the Microsoft Office or some other mail client.

Could you explain a little around "whole files" and a "specific file", and what you mean by "pulls the whole files"? I'm not quite sure what's happening. Maybe you're getting more files selected than was intended, or a whole folder of files is getting selected?

How are you attaching the files to the mail message? Using the attachment button? Or by dragging the individual files onto the message while composing the message?

How big are the files you're trying to attach?

Do you have the Apple mail drop feature enabled? Mail > Preferences > Accounts > select an account > send large attachments with Mail Drop

Aug 14, 2019 1:59 PM in response to MrHoffman

My email gets hung up when sending several different attachments via mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.