Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 8.1

I started having trouble with my Pages 8.1 documents opening. Now my documents won't save automatically. After making changes to a document, I can't get that to save.

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 6:11 AM

The first time that you formally save a Pages v8.1 document with a name other than "Untitled," its autosave feature is enabled. The only means to disable autosave is in System Preferences : General : [√] Ask to keep changes when closing documents.

That setting will require manual saves, and if you quit Pages without saving, a dialog will appear giving you the choice of quitting anyway with loss of all unsaved changes, or to save.

If you have ever had Pages v8.1 crash on you, or had to Force Quit it, then it will misbehave on subsequent launches until you apply the one-time hold the shift key when launching it.

Also, if you are attempting to save a document where you have no privileges to save (e.g. Microsoft One Drive, Google Drive, etc.) then that would also effect autosave.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2019 6:11 AM in response to globell

The first time that you formally save a Pages v8.1 document with a name other than "Untitled," its autosave feature is enabled. The only means to disable autosave is in System Preferences : General : [√] Ask to keep changes when closing documents.

That setting will require manual saves, and if you quit Pages without saving, a dialog will appear giving you the choice of quitting anyway with loss of all unsaved changes, or to save.

If you have ever had Pages v8.1 crash on you, or had to Force Quit it, then it will misbehave on subsequent launches until you apply the one-time hold the shift key when launching it.

Also, if you are attempting to save a document where you have no privileges to save (e.g. Microsoft One Drive, Google Drive, etc.) then that would also effect autosave.

Aug 15, 2019 11:29 AM in response to VikingOSX

one-time hold the shift key when launching it; I believe has solved all my problems with Pages. Most of what I do is Pages and it was not allowing me to open without a struggle, if at all. Yesterday it told me I didn't have permission to work with my healing folder on my desktop to edit and save and if I closed documents that had been open, I would lose everything and not be able to open them again. I was panicky.

I will check this out deeper when I get home because I put that folder on an external drive. So far I'm able to open folders & documents I couldn't before. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Pages 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.