Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did my Camera Roll & Messages history not restore from my PC iTunes "full backup"?

I was relying on my iTunes "full backups" on my PC. I had to get a new phone, and figured I would restore from a recent backup. However, after the restore, my Camera Roll is empty, and I have no Message history.

Why is that?... is that data not included in the iTunes "full backup"?

Is there any way I can get this data back on my new iPhone?

I'm quite disappointed with this iTunes backup/restore process.

Thank you.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 4:30 PM

gatorjwade wrote:

Correct, you referred to iCloud "sync".

If you "sync" your photos and messages to iCloud (i.e. iCloud Photos and Messages in iCloud turned ON), then photos and messages are not part of your backup, regardless of where you save your backup. But these would load on a new device even without a backup, since these items are part of your iCloud account.

If you do not use iCloud Photos and Messages in iCloud, then your photos and messages would be part of your backup (again, regardless of where you save your backup -- iTunes or iCloud).

Is it possible that you selected the wrong backup when you set up your new iPhone? You may have chosen a backup from a different source (an iCloud backup that is not current), or a different device, or a backup saved under a different name for the iPhone. If you open iTunes and select Preferences and then select the Devices tab, you should see what backups iTunes knows about. Look at the date(s), name(s), and size(s) of these backups to determine which is correct.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2019 4:30 PM in response to gatorjwade

gatorjwade wrote:

Correct, you referred to iCloud "sync".

If you "sync" your photos and messages to iCloud (i.e. iCloud Photos and Messages in iCloud turned ON), then photos and messages are not part of your backup, regardless of where you save your backup. But these would load on a new device even without a backup, since these items are part of your iCloud account.

If you do not use iCloud Photos and Messages in iCloud, then your photos and messages would be part of your backup (again, regardless of where you save your backup -- iTunes or iCloud).

Is it possible that you selected the wrong backup when you set up your new iPhone? You may have chosen a backup from a different source (an iCloud backup that is not current), or a different device, or a backup saved under a different name for the iPhone. If you open iTunes and select Preferences and then select the Devices tab, you should see what backups iTunes knows about. Look at the date(s), name(s), and size(s) of these backups to determine which is correct.

Aug 16, 2019 4:18 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Well, it looks like I finally got my new iPhone restored from the iTunes backup! :-)

It seems that each time I tried to restore, it failed with an error, and even tho I unlocked my iPhone when I started the restore, the error msg was that my phone was locked; but then when I entered my passcode, it sync'd successfully which I thot was the restore/sync completing (but actually the sync succeeded, but the restore did not).

Apparently during the restore which would last about 7 minutes, my phone would lock. And, my new phone had a different passcode from my old phone. So I removed the passcode alltogether, then the restore worked successfully - including my Camera Roll, my Message history, AND all my apps were auto-loaded, and the icons were even all in the same places they were!

Perhaps the restore instructions should advise to remove your passcode, or ensure it doesn't lock before the restore completes.

Thanks to all that assisted me, I really appreciate your prompt responses!

I am now a happy camper... :-)

Why did my Camera Roll & Messages history not restore from my PC iTunes "full backup"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.