Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

speech recognition and dictation

I might understand Apple not allowing 3rd party software full access to OSX system level commands; however that only means Apple should provide it's own utility/app to match the marketplace products.

Apple could start by removing "enhanced" from the name of it's shoddy dictation implementation.

Or, am I missing something here?

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 12:11 PM

Apple provides a robust developer's kit that allows businesses like Nuance, and others to build Mac-based dictation software. Those businesses can provide Mac solutions, or not, based solely in their internal business decisions — not because of Apple preventing them from doing so in the operating system.

Apple however, has not chosen to enter the Dictation/Transcription market with a fee-based, professional product.

You can however, still find Dictation software for the Mac if you search on the word Dictation in the Mac App Store, or on the web for those vendors that do not use the Mac App Store for distribution.

You can also send Apple feedback, but do not expect any response.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2019 12:11 PM in response to WhoWu

Apple provides a robust developer's kit that allows businesses like Nuance, and others to build Mac-based dictation software. Those businesses can provide Mac solutions, or not, based solely in their internal business decisions — not because of Apple preventing them from doing so in the operating system.

Apple however, has not chosen to enter the Dictation/Transcription market with a fee-based, professional product.

You can however, still find Dictation software for the Mac if you search on the word Dictation in the Mac App Store, or on the web for those vendors that do not use the Mac App Store for distribution.

You can also send Apple feedback, but do not expect any response.

Aug 16, 2019 11:17 AM in response to VikingOSX

No, you are missing my point; I am not looking for a FREE solution.

I have difficulty typing this reply to you because I am 70 years old. Once I typed over 90 wpm, today my fingers tremble and feel stiff—and it's not going to change for the better.

My first Apple was a IIe and if the guy that built it was still alive, he'd have the same problem I have. Your "alternative" suggests I need to buy my first Windows machine and a PC dictation product because Apple won't allow those third party products access to Apple's BIOS—excuse me, I feel light-headed... is this deja vu (circa 1990)?

Or, Apple peddles a complete solution as a stand alone product.

speech recognition and dictation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.