Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update notification for old ipad 4th gen

Hi, so for a long time now i have been using my ipad 4th gen which stopped updating at ios 10.3.3 which with the minimal apps i use i've not run into any problems..just now i had an update notification telling me to update to 10.3.4 so i downloaded the update but stalled the install to first go check it out on the apple link provided with the update and it says no CVE ENTRIES & i cannot click the update for any information, why is this what is cve entries and if they stopped updates why is there one all of a sudden?? is this a hacker??

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 11:50 AM

Click here for information.

(173682)

9 replies

Aug 16, 2019 11:44 AM in response to Niel

an upcoming issue?? how can they forsee the issue if the ipad was on the previous ios 10.3.3 and no one has been updating past that why would our ios environment change for an issue to occur, im not very computer technical so i may not understand your answer anyways but just thought i would try to understand thanks for your time

Aug 16, 2019 11:56 AM in response to MichelPM

I'm in no way being ungrateful at all, was just confused and may not be very computer smart but was just confused after stopping updates so long ago i wanted to check this was real and not my ipad being hacked or something..I am always greatful when i can update or better my security in any circumstance and didnt stop buying apple devices when they stopped updating i have a newer ipad air and ipad pro and a macbook and macbook air and my phone is an apple iph xs and i have apple tv so i'm a huge apple person and in no way ungrateful i'm not sure how i came across like that.. but anyways thanks for your time and hopefully i can get more educted on how these things work technically and better my understanding...

Aug 16, 2019 12:56 PM in response to mel_louise

It is NOT a hacker. iOS devices CANNOT be hacked unless they are jailbroken. 10.3.4 is a bug fix update regarding issues with the GPS positioning. If you don't install it, your date & time will not be correct after the November 3, 2019. Apple got hold of this issue existing on older iOS devices (iPad 2, 3, 4th gen) and iPhone 4s & 5 so they released 9.3.6 and 10.3.4.

Aug 16, 2019 3:01 PM in response to Elitegate

Hi thanks for your reply, Neil previously sent me a link in which detailed why and how the update has come about but thank you for your answer and i know that being hacked isnt possible presently for my up to date devices but for some reason i figured the reason we have updates is for security measures and i assume they are updated as apple get notification that some hackers or bugs have infiltrated or bypassed our security measures and thats why we must stay on top of our updates and since the older ipads stopped updating past ios 10 (or 9 for some) i just asdumed it might be possible since running these old ios that a hacker might be able to infiltrate by some means be it in our emails links or web pages that we visit since our ios is old and there would be more advanced ways hackers or bugs can effect the device as such but thanks for clarifying that i don’t ever have to worry at all..this gives me one less worry and one more piece of educated information

update notification for old ipad 4th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.