Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Popups and 'official' messages

I have, since yesterday, been receiving MANY popups that tell me I have been infected by virus/ malware / flash player needs to updated (which is how I think I got into this mess as I updated the flash player yesterday). There are popups from Apple Care Protection Plan and "official apple support". I just don't want to further damage the computer. Are these legit or is there something better I can do to confirm that these popups are legit?

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2019 4:19 AM

Apple will never pop up dialogs in Safari, or any other browser, which isolates what you are experiencing to very real looking SCAMS. Click no buttons on these dialogs, not even a cancel button. As there are no viruses on the Mac, and no one can sweep your Mac remotely anyway, this is just another SCAM along with the bogus Flash Player nonsense.

Force quit Safari (option+command+esc keys) or option-right-click on the Safari Dock icon and select Force Quit. Now, do the following:

1. Hold the shift key when launching Safari. This will prevent bad stuff from loading.
  2. In Safari Preferences
    1. Advanced panel, [√] Show Develop menu in menu bar
      1. Press the option+command+e keys to clear your browser cache. The Develop menu bar item will flash to confirm.
    2. Extensions panel
      1. Disable, or remove all extensions
  3. Safari menu : Clear History… all history : Clear History
    1. Also clears all cookies
  4. Quit Safari

As you can have a adware/malware infection, download and install the free Malwarebytes for Mac to scan and offer to remove anything that it finds. This is a 14-day "realtime" trial, and afterward it disables the realtime features but allows you to continue using it interactively. Once you have performed the Malwarebytes sweep, you can start Safari again normally, and see if your intrusion pop-ups have gone. Many of us recommend and use Malwarebytes, but frankly, if one watches which sites they visit, and only download software from the original vendor, the adware/malware issue is almost eliminated. On websites that are just a quagmire of download buttons and rollover links, just avoid the site as nothing good can come from anything there.

I have removed all traces of the legitimate Adobe Flash player from my Mac.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

Protect your Mac from malware

Virus, Trojans, Malware - and other aspects of Internet security

macOS - Security built-in

Virus or Malware?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2019 4:19 AM in response to MJKMom

Apple will never pop up dialogs in Safari, or any other browser, which isolates what you are experiencing to very real looking SCAMS. Click no buttons on these dialogs, not even a cancel button. As there are no viruses on the Mac, and no one can sweep your Mac remotely anyway, this is just another SCAM along with the bogus Flash Player nonsense.

Force quit Safari (option+command+esc keys) or option-right-click on the Safari Dock icon and select Force Quit. Now, do the following:

1. Hold the shift key when launching Safari. This will prevent bad stuff from loading.
  2. In Safari Preferences
    1. Advanced panel, [√] Show Develop menu in menu bar
      1. Press the option+command+e keys to clear your browser cache. The Develop menu bar item will flash to confirm.
    2. Extensions panel
      1. Disable, or remove all extensions
  3. Safari menu : Clear History… all history : Clear History
    1. Also clears all cookies
  4. Quit Safari

As you can have a adware/malware infection, download and install the free Malwarebytes for Mac to scan and offer to remove anything that it finds. This is a 14-day "realtime" trial, and afterward it disables the realtime features but allows you to continue using it interactively. Once you have performed the Malwarebytes sweep, you can start Safari again normally, and see if your intrusion pop-ups have gone. Many of us recommend and use Malwarebytes, but frankly, if one watches which sites they visit, and only download software from the original vendor, the adware/malware issue is almost eliminated. On websites that are just a quagmire of download buttons and rollover links, just avoid the site as nothing good can come from anything there.

I have removed all traces of the legitimate Adobe Flash player from my Mac.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

Protect your Mac from malware

Virus, Trojans, Malware - and other aspects of Internet security

macOS - Security built-in

Virus or Malware?

Popups and 'official' messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.