Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro not auto connecting to hidden wifi network

I recently bought a 15-inch 2019 MacBook Pro, and it has been working well except for one issue. My home wifi network is hidden, and if my laptop goes to sleep for more than a few hours, or if I leave home with my laptop, it won't auto connect to the hidden wifi network when I return home and start using it again. The network is set to auto-join, and I give the laptop a few minutes every time this happens to see if it will eventually connect, but it never does, which means almost every time I use my laptop, I have to enter the network name and password to connect. Additionally, I will note that the issue isn't specific to my home wifi network, as the network at my workplace is also hidden, and I experience the same issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 11:43 PM

I've had issues at times connecting to hidden networks with every OS even when configuring the OS for the first time.

Delete the WiFi settings which are giving you problems and recreate them.

Try creating a new user account to see if it could be a bad network .plist preference file.

Try booting into Safe Mode to test. The screen may flash or flicker due to the very basic video driver used in Safe Mode.

You should also reboot the router as well as your computer (or better yet unplug the router for a minute). If this works for the home network, then you may have to ask the IT Networking team to reboot the access point for you.

Worst case scenario, try creating three new network Locations ("Main" for all non-hidden WiFI networks, "Home" and "Work" for the hidden home & work WiFi respectively) so you can try to manually select the location to see if it will automatically connect without needing to enter the WiFi credentials each time. This should resolve macOS automatically detecting the hidden networks.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2019 11:43 PM in response to JohnFromMassillon

I've had issues at times connecting to hidden networks with every OS even when configuring the OS for the first time.

Delete the WiFi settings which are giving you problems and recreate them.

Try creating a new user account to see if it could be a bad network .plist preference file.

Try booting into Safe Mode to test. The screen may flash or flicker due to the very basic video driver used in Safe Mode.

You should also reboot the router as well as your computer (or better yet unplug the router for a minute). If this works for the home network, then you may have to ask the IT Networking team to reboot the access point for you.

Worst case scenario, try creating three new network Locations ("Main" for all non-hidden WiFI networks, "Home" and "Work" for the hidden home & work WiFi respectively) so you can try to manually select the location to see if it will automatically connect without needing to enter the WiFi credentials each time. This should resolve macOS automatically detecting the hidden networks.

MacBook Pro not auto connecting to hidden wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.