Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reestore an external disc

I aim using time machine for backup. I have connected a usb hub and connected a specific external drive to it only to be used as a dive containing a community books that I user. The drive has been corrupted and I reformatted the drive. I wasn't to resort from a backup on a certain date. The backup drive (another external drive that I only use for backups) shows the backup was done on a certain date, but when I go into Time Machine, the disk is greyed out. What is the correct way to recover the files; there is some 400 files.

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 11:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 2:22 PM

If connect the other drive that you want to copy the files to, you should be able to simply drag and drop to the other storage media or right click and copy. Based off the information given you should not have to restore them in order to copy them, unless you are saying that you want to make a duplicate copy of your time machine back up.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2019 2:22 PM in response to robert_coady

If connect the other drive that you want to copy the files to, you should be able to simply drag and drop to the other storage media or right click and copy. Based off the information given you should not have to restore them in order to copy them, unless you are saying that you want to make a duplicate copy of your time machine back up.

Aug 23, 2019 5:51 AM in response to robert_coady

Hello!

If I understand correctly, you are trying to recover files from an external drive via time machine. Time machine only backs up files that are contained on the internal or main boot drive for macOS. If you are trying to recover files from a external drive that was not the main boot drive you are most likely going to have to use a third party service to attempt this.

For more information about time machine click the following link:

https://www.apple.com/in/support/timemachine/

Let me know if this helps!

reestore an external disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.