Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i clean install high Sierra on RAID 0

I booted my MacBook Pro into recovery mode and created a striped 0 RAID with two internal 500 GB hard drives. Then I went to reinstall high Sierra and went to the set up but when I went to click on the High Sierra drive it said can’t install high Sierra here because it’s part of an AppleRAID. I did also create a bootable USB recovery drive and it did not work from there either. How do I fix this?

Posted on Aug 17, 2019 8:44 AM

11 replies

Aug 17, 2019 9:38 AM in response to Seannelson012

OK. Now I understand. So to improve performance a little. Doesn't a Raid 0 configuration increase the chance of data loss? If one of the drives fails you lose all your data. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think I would opt for the SSD and an SSD external drive for backups rather than a Raid 0 configuration. I've never compared performance but I think an SSD will improve your performance more than a Raid 0 setup. But I may be mistaken.

Aug 17, 2019 9:49 AM in response to Seannelson012

I do not think you can. You need to boot the operating system before you can load the RAID drivers that understands how to read your stripped RAID 0

Unless of course you have a hardware RAID that always looks to macOS as a single volume.

Buy the SSD, any performance increase you might get from a stripped RAID will be minimal compared to what an SSD will do for your system. I've got a 2009 iMac with an SSD that works very well on High Sierra. It was just barely keeping up on Snow Leopard with rotating boot disk, and Snow Leopard is one of the most efficient and stable Mac OS X releases from 10 years ago. Every macOS release since then has just gotten more demanding.

Just get the SSD

How can i clean install high Sierra on RAID 0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.