Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared albums VS normal albums

Hi,

am I presuming correctly that:

• standard albums are logical, e.g. you add your photos to them (basically a keyword), not copy the photos
  • shared albums are physical, e.g. you copy your photos into them
  • if you alter/delete your photo it gets altered/deleted in/from your albums, however, if you add your photo to a shared album and then alter or delete the original, the photo in the shared folder stays the same?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 12:44 PM

lajos.andrejkovics wrote:

• Hi,
1 - standard albums are logical, e.g. you add your photos to them (basically a keyword), not copy the photos
2 - shared albums are physical, e.g. you copy your photos into them
3 - if you alter/delete your photo it gets altered/deleted in/from your albums, however, if you add your photo to a shared album and then alter or delete the original, the photo in the shared folder stays the same?

Thanks.

1 - No, it's not a keyword but a link to the original file. This way one image can be in multiple albums, projects and only have one copy in the library.

2 - essentially correct as the shared album is stored online on Apple's servers.

3 - correct.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2019 12:44 PM in response to lajos.andrejkovics

lajos.andrejkovics wrote:

• Hi,
1 - standard albums are logical, e.g. you add your photos to them (basically a keyword), not copy the photos
2 - shared albums are physical, e.g. you copy your photos into them
3 - if you alter/delete your photo it gets altered/deleted in/from your albums, however, if you add your photo to a shared album and then alter or delete the original, the photo in the shared folder stays the same?

Thanks.

1 - No, it's not a keyword but a link to the original file. This way one image can be in multiple albums, projects and only have one copy in the library.

2 - essentially correct as the shared album is stored online on Apple's servers.

3 - correct.

Shared albums VS normal albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.