Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM Upgrade.

High,

I have a 27" mid 2010 iMac of which has 12 GB of ram. I feel it needs an upgrade and would like to go as high and as fast as possible. What is my best option.

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 7:38 AM

Yea' it looks like someone has mistakenly put the wrong and slower RAM into that iMac.

At this point I think your best bet, is to buy the OWC 16GB, 24GB or 32GB kit, that macjack and I have both recommended.

8 replies

Aug 18, 2019 9:17 AM in response to John Lancaster1

I recently retired the same model with 12GB RAM and, like Macjack, I never found it short of RAM. Most reports of slow 2010/2011 iMacs come down to a struggling hard drive or conflicting software.

Too often, users load up their Macs with useless third-party utilities like anti-virus and "cleaning/tune-up" apps that only degrade performance while giving absolutely no benefit. This Apple article is about determining if software is the problem and uses Apple software that came with you computer:

See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support

Two things to note:

1) Step 1 is critically important to getting any useful information from the test.

2) The display is dynamic so you need to watch it for at least 30 seconds to spot resource-grabbing tasks that could be suspects.

The dynamic display also makes screenshots posted here only minimally useful. Make a note of the the name of any process that is using a lot of resources and post it here. NOTE: it is nromal for the process "kernel_task" t use a lot of CPU cycles. That one is expected.

Aug 18, 2019 8:20 PM in response to John Lancaster1

Double check to make sure that your iMac is not a Late 2009, which uses 1067MHz modules.

see > Find the model name and serial number of your Mac - Apple Support

and/or > Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

Because a Mid 2010 iMac is suppose to use and have 1333MHz modules installed in it.

see > https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2010/DDR3_21.5_27

and/or > https://support.apple.com/kb/SP588?locale=en_US

Aug 18, 2019 6:51 AM in response to John Lancaster1

I have the same model iMac with 12 GB and it runs well for my needs. I rarely find myself using any swap. Depending on which apps you run you may or may not need to upgrade the RAM. Take a look in Activity Monitor > Memory and check the graph at the bottom. If it is running in the red zone, that would indicate that you need more RAM.

If you do need RAM, know that Macs are fussy about RAM.  Both Crucial and OWC are reliable vendors with high quality RAM. You can find the RAM modules that are right for your Mac by using the tool on either site. (Mine are 1333 MHz DDR3 )

If it is running slow and RAM isn't the issue, I'd suggest upgrading the hard drive to SSD. This will make a dramatic improvement. You can find those on OWC, a good source for all things Mac.

Aug 19, 2019 2:31 AM in response to den.thed

Thankyou den.thed,

This is very interesting, I bought the machine approx. 18 months ago it was second hand and been upgraded.

Perhaps this could be the explanation for the difference. Do you think I should load 1333MHz into it. I would like to get the correct RAM that works OK. and maybe a bit faster than the one I have now. At present I am using Motion on a project of which seems to get bogged down and then Final Cut, I thought this may be too much for what I am doing. Thanks once again.

John L.

PS. below machine Info,

My Machine Info states, macOZ High Siera. 10.13,6.

Mac (27" Mid 2010)

Processor GHz Intel Core i5

memory 12GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Start Up Disk John's Disk 24.

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

Serial No. -----------------

RAM Upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.