Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud backup without photos

Can you set up iCloud backup but exclude your photos?

iPhone XR

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 8:51 AM

Photos are only included in backups in some circumstances.

You can turn the iCloud backup of Photos on and off at Settings ➔ Apple ID(Top) ➔ iCloud ➔ Storage ➔ iCloud ➔ Manage Storage ➔ Backups ➔ This Device ➔ Choose Data To Backup ➔ Photos.

However, that option is only available if your iCloud Photo Library option at Settings ➔ Photos & Camera ➔ iCloud Photo Library is off. If it's turned on your photos aren't included in backups.

Likewise, if you backup through iTunes and iCloud Photo Library is turned on photos don't get included in backups, but if it's off photos are automatically included in backups, i.e. there isn't an option to turn their backup off.

I guess the theory goes that your photos are already in the cloud anyway if you use iCloud Photo Library and that there may be some sort of conflict if you restore photos from a backup while they are synced to iCloud Photo Library. But whilst this makes sense, personally, I still like to backup my photos which I do by using Time Machine to Backup the library on my Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2019 8:51 AM in response to sebastien131

Photos are only included in backups in some circumstances.

You can turn the iCloud backup of Photos on and off at Settings ➔ Apple ID(Top) ➔ iCloud ➔ Storage ➔ iCloud ➔ Manage Storage ➔ Backups ➔ This Device ➔ Choose Data To Backup ➔ Photos.

However, that option is only available if your iCloud Photo Library option at Settings ➔ Photos & Camera ➔ iCloud Photo Library is off. If it's turned on your photos aren't included in backups.

Likewise, if you backup through iTunes and iCloud Photo Library is turned on photos don't get included in backups, but if it's off photos are automatically included in backups, i.e. there isn't an option to turn their backup off.

I guess the theory goes that your photos are already in the cloud anyway if you use iCloud Photo Library and that there may be some sort of conflict if you restore photos from a backup while they are synced to iCloud Photo Library. But whilst this makes sense, personally, I still like to backup my photos which I do by using Time Machine to Backup the library on my Mac.

iCloud backup without photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.