Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad "jumps" to a group site in Facebook App on its own

My iPad Pro is "jumping" to group sites within Facebook app without me doing anything. It does this "jumping" in other apps, but not as often.

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 8:03 PM

I deleted Facebook app and then downloaded it again after shutting down iPad and then restarting it and that seems to have helped so far. Will keep you posted tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions/help.

13 replies

Aug 18, 2019 8:35 PM in response to BARONE

BARONE wrote:
I’m afraid this “ghost touch” may be the issue. I watched your you tube video and then it “jumped” on me there. Does Apple give you anything for the iPad on “trade”?

If it's showing those symptoms it's not going to be worth much in trade from Apple. Apple doesn't specifically fix iPads for customers. They accept iPads in exchange for replacement iPads that may be new or refurbished. Then they might send the exchanged device to central refurb facilities to see if they can be fixed. It does simplify Apple's replacement prices to either a battery replacement or "screen damage".

You didn't say where you are, but these are the US prices:

iPad Screen Damage - Official Apple Support

If it's a failing digitizer then what Apple would have the screen assembly replaced and a new battery installed, but they won't do that and return the same device. They only do that to create a "replacement device" or perhaps a retail refurb device for a future customer.

Maybe a long shot since you mentioned trade-in, but is it under warranty or AppleCare? If it was then this would clearly be a warranty replacement.

Aug 18, 2019 6:21 PM in response to BARONE

At a minimum, I would force close Facebook and see if that helps. To force close apps, double tap your home button to bring up the App Switcher. Slide Facebook and any other apps you don't need to be immediately accessible upwards to fully close them. Then tap your home button once to return to your home page. Open Facebook and see the behavior has stopped.

Aug 18, 2019 8:03 PM in response to BARONE

"Ghost touch" is where there's something wrong such that random contact with the screen is sampled by the touch control unit even though there is none. There was the iPhone 6 Plus Multitouch issue where Apple would repair/replace them for a reduced price. That was traced to the connection between the touch control chip and the board breaking and creating intermittent contact. A more common reason is that the digitizer (which is just part of the screen assembly) fails. It's the part of the screen that samples touch and converts it to taps, movement, etc.

I've seen it before on an iPad Mini 2 that I dropped. It actually worked OK for over a year (with a long crack down the glass) but eventually it started showing signs of "ghost touch". It would swipe on its own. I had a hard time entering the passcode because sometimes it would register a tap on the keypad before I could enter my passcode. Once I got it unlocked it would often open apps and start doing things. The problem is that they tend to be really random.

Here's a demonstration of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgipB6mZtFk

If that's it, there's no fix from Apple other than a complete device replacement. Apple doesn't fix iPads and return them to the same customer. Not even for a battery replacement service.

iPad "jumps" to a group site in Facebook App on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.