Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 Apple id’s.

I used to share an Apple ID on my 5s, with my husband. I now have a new 8plus iphone and also my own Apple ID. How can I transfer all my phone contacts from my old phone to my new one, as it’s 2 different Apple id’s. Or do I have to enter again 1 by 1? Please explain in “Laymans ” terms.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 6:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 6:54 AM

If you have a computer this may be easier. On your computer go to iCloud.com and sign in to his Apple ID (the one with the contacts) then select contacts. Now in the bottom left there is a little gear (settings) select that and then select all. Select the gear again and export vcard. to a folder or desktop. Now, sign out of his ID and sign into your ID on iCloud.com. Go back to the contacts tab>settings and import vcards.

Now on your phone make sure when you go to settings>contacts>default account - set to iCloud.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2019 6:54 AM in response to ChicoChico59

If you have a computer this may be easier. On your computer go to iCloud.com and sign in to his Apple ID (the one with the contacts) then select contacts. Now in the bottom left there is a little gear (settings) select that and then select all. Select the gear again and export vcard. to a folder or desktop. Now, sign out of his ID and sign into your ID on iCloud.com. Go back to the contacts tab>settings and import vcards.

Now on your phone make sure when you go to settings>contacts>default account - set to iCloud.

Aug 19, 2019 6:48 AM in response to ChicoChico59

If you were syncing contacts with iCloud, you could try signing into iCloud on the 8 using the ID you shared with your husband and allow the contacts to sync back, then change back to your new ID. This may result in you losing data, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

If you weren't syncing contacts with iCloud, you can restore the contacts from a backup. Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup

2 Apple id’s.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.