Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can not sync mac mail with iphone or ipad

I know this has been covered before. I have tried everything but nothing works. If I delete an email on my Mac it does not delete on my iphone or ipad. However, when I delete mail on my iphone, it also deletes on my Mac and my ipad. When I delete from my ipad, it deletes from my iphone and Mac also. What should I do? Thanks.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 10:17 AM

Hello cflaw,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that when you delete an email from your Mac, it is not deleted from your iPhone or iPad, however deleting email from either iOS device deletes it from the Mac. I would be happy to help provide steps to take next.

Let's start by ensuring that this email account has been added to your Mac using the same email settings as the iPhone and iPad. If you aren't sure which email settings should be used for your email account, here's how you can look that up:

Mail Settings Lookup

You'll also want to ensure that this has been set up as an IMAP, and not POP account on your Mac:

Change Server Settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Consider removing the email account from the Mac, then adding it back as well:

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

If there's no change to the behavior after trying those steps, here are some additional questions that would be helpful to answer:

1. Who is the email provider for this account? iCloud, Outlook, Gmail, etc?
  2. If you move an email to a folder other than Trash on the Mac, is the change reflected on the iPad or iPhone?
  3. Are you using the built-in Mail app on all of the devices, or a third-party email app?

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2019 10:17 AM in response to cflaw

Hello cflaw,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that when you delete an email from your Mac, it is not deleted from your iPhone or iPad, however deleting email from either iOS device deletes it from the Mac. I would be happy to help provide steps to take next.

Let's start by ensuring that this email account has been added to your Mac using the same email settings as the iPhone and iPad. If you aren't sure which email settings should be used for your email account, here's how you can look that up:

Mail Settings Lookup

You'll also want to ensure that this has been set up as an IMAP, and not POP account on your Mac:

Change Server Settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Consider removing the email account from the Mac, then adding it back as well:

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

If there's no change to the behavior after trying those steps, here are some additional questions that would be helpful to answer:

1. Who is the email provider for this account? iCloud, Outlook, Gmail, etc?
  2. If you move an email to a folder other than Trash on the Mac, is the change reflected on the iPad or iPhone?
  3. Are you using the built-in Mail app on all of the devices, or a third-party email app?

Cheers!

Aug 20, 2019 1:47 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I have spent the entire day on this. Sometimes it seems to be better, other times not. Weird, I know. My Mac has some different mail settings than my iphone and ipad. For example, the port numbers are different. I changed them and things got worse. My mail account went "offline" and I could not send emails. I changed them back and those problems, and the original one I wrote about, improved. I am going to keep playing around and see what happens. I will next remove the Mac mail account and then add it back.

As for your three questions, I am using Gmail. I tried the folder question but it is hard for me to know for sure. My folders are not set up the same on all three devices. Yes, I am using the built-in mail app on all devices.

I tried to set up an exchange account, which has been suggested in other places, but I was unable to do it.

FWIW, everything else syncs perfectly--Pages, music, calendar, etc.

Thanks again. I will get back to you.

Aug 23, 2019 2:32 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi Again Joseph,

I just want to let you know where I am with this.

I have spent countless hours trying to resolve it. I uninstalled and reinstalled the mail app on all three devices. I made other minor changes. Sometimes it works as it should ("delete" is synced on all three devices), other times not. I am going to let it go for a while and see what happens. I have to get on with the rest of my life. However, if you have any more ideas, I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks very much.

can not sync mac mail with iphone or ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.