Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme Red Light

Airport Extreme red light is on and message says may be overheating.

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 6:34 PM

I don't know the model.

Does the AirPort look like a white tower.....about 8-9 inches tall?........or........does the AirPort look like a small white pizza box?

IF.......the AirPort looks like a small white pizza box......look on the bottom of the device for the model number. It is usually embedded in the foam pad base.......starts with an "A" followed by 4 numbers.

IF.......the airPort looks like a white tower........just say that you have the "tower" model.

In either case, routers designed for home use have an average useful life of about 5 years, so an AirPort purchased in 2016 should go into 2021, possibly longer.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2019 6:34 PM in response to AirportRedLight

I don't know the model.

Does the AirPort look like a white tower.....about 8-9 inches tall?........or........does the AirPort look like a small white pizza box?

IF.......the AirPort looks like a small white pizza box......look on the bottom of the device for the model number. It is usually embedded in the foam pad base.......starts with an "A" followed by 4 numbers.

IF.......the airPort looks like a white tower........just say that you have the "tower" model.

In either case, routers designed for home use have an average useful life of about 5 years, so an AirPort purchased in 2016 should go into 2021, possibly longer.

Aug 20, 2019 3:00 PM in response to AirportRedLight

Assuming it is Gen6 tower model you can pull more info from the airport utility. It will at least tell you if the fan is running or not.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7441098?answerId=32262252022#32262252022

I would suggest you power it off overnight and see how long it takes for the overheat message to appear.

If it appears almost immediately after power on the sensor is faulty. It happens often.

Does the fan roar as overheat condition should send the fan speed to >5000rpm?

Aug 20, 2019 8:11 AM in response to AirportRedLight

Which exact model is your AirPort Extreme base station? Regardless, at this point, you should stop operating it to prevent any further damage to it. If it's the "tower" style unit, you should see vents on the bottom. Be sure that they are clear of any dust or debris as these can reduce the airflow into the unit. Also as Rudegar has pointed out, it may be possible that the base station's cooling fan has become clogged or even failed.

Aug 20, 2019 6:19 PM in response to LaPastenague

I don't know the model. I don't see the name on it or on the information booklet that is in the original box that we have.

If I had Superman HD eyesight, I may have been able to read a name!

We purchased it in August of 2016. I wonder what the life expectancy of one is.

But I am relieved to have the green light back on after disabling the file sharing.

Everyone's input was so helpful!

Airport Extreme Red Light

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.