Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recurring "Disk Utility found corruption" error.

I kept getting an error from Disk Utility that it found corruption (on my startup partition) and suggested I rerun it from The Recovery Partition. However, doing so never found an issue with the drive. Furthermore, simply rebooting the system and running Disk Utility again, not only did not find any errors (same as when running it from The Recovery Partition) but it did not issue the same error.

Until the next time it did.....sometime later. It seemed that simply rebooting the system and rerunning Disk Utility was the fastest, most reliable way to get a clean bill of health from Disk Utility.

And then completely erased my startup drive (formerly a Apple FileVault encrypted disk where I opted not to let my iCloud account unlock the disk, but chose a encryption key instead, thinking it might be more secure than trusting iCloud never be hacked into).

Slowly, I reconfigured my system step-by-step. My goal was to find the offending culprit.

For days I did not get the error, though I tested it several times everyday, by running Disk Utility. Even after encrypting the drive again (using the same encryption key procedure).

UNTIL I INSTALLED AND RAN MAINTAIN SOFTWARE'S COCKTAIL AND ALLOWED IT TO CHECK THE STARTUP DRIVE.

THAT SAME AFTERNOON, I RAN DISK UTILITY, AND THE PROBLEM RE-SURFACED!

NOTE: HAVING ALREADY BACKED UP THE DRIVE WITH COCKTAIL ONCE INSTALLED, AND RESTORING IT FROM THAT BACKUP ONLY RESTORED THE PROBLEM. I WAS FORCED TO REFORMAT THE ENTIRE DRIVE AND START ALL OVER AGAIN!

I then resolved to myself to never use Cocktail on my Mac again. I have run Disk Utility scores of times since (even with the drive encrypted) and so far, NO ERRORS.

So, for those plagued by this issue, I have the following questions:

Have you ever installed and or run Cocktail on your system (even if you have un-installed it)? If so, are you still getting the error message?

Have you restored your system drive from a backup that reflects a partition that once had Cocktail installed and/or run upon it? It doesn't seem to matter if Cocktail is installed or not. What seems to matter is what Cocktail did to the partition, regardless of whether Cocktail still exists.

Is your drive encrypted? And if so, did you encrypt it using the "encryption key method"?

I would be interested by how many people (and there seem to be hundreds of you) who have or had the same combination as I did (Cocktail installed or previously installed) on a Mac that also has FileVault (or Finder) encrypted partition(s) where an encryption key was used instead of opting to allow iCloud to unlock the drive.

I have to suspect Cocktail is the culprit. In my case, the answer seems to be "YES".

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 11:34 AM

I can't answer all your questions but I did use to use Cocktail long ago and I am familiar with what it does. At the presets it used to be OK but anything beyond that was digging too far into the bowels of the operating system for comfort.

Now, I recommend against it for a couple of reasons. First, anything Cocktail does can be easily done from within Mac OS. Second, caches do not need cleaning unless you are having a specific cache related issue. Caches are there to help your Mac run faster. And third, modern Apple OS does all the maintenance tasks you need automatically.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2019 11:34 AM in response to ricfromkennewick

I can't answer all your questions but I did use to use Cocktail long ago and I am familiar with what it does. At the presets it used to be OK but anything beyond that was digging too far into the bowels of the operating system for comfort.

Now, I recommend against it for a couple of reasons. First, anything Cocktail does can be easily done from within Mac OS. Second, caches do not need cleaning unless you are having a specific cache related issue. Caches are there to help your Mac run faster. And third, modern Apple OS does all the maintenance tasks you need automatically.

Aug 20, 2019 12:47 PM in response to Kappy

I posted it for other people with the same Disk Utility error. I have noticed it a lot in these forums. Secondly, I have to wonder how many of those same people use or have used Cocktail on the configuration(s) reporting the same Disk Utility Error. The point being, I have to question if Cocktail is the main culprit. I know in my previous configuration it definitely appears to have been.

Recurring "Disk Utility found corruption" error.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.