Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery health dropping continuously.

I replaced my iPhone 6s battery two months ago. It only got fully drained twice or thrice. Last week after a full charge i saw it dropped to 98%. I thought it was normal. But yesterday I saw it dropped to 95%. And today after after using few hours it dropped to 94%. I have no idea what’s going on with my iPhone’ battery health. I use it carefully and didn’t even let that fully drain easily. I always connect to the charger when it indicates “20% battery remaining “. And removes it after getting fully charged. Someone please come up with a solution. I’m looking forward for a favorable reply!

iPhone 6s

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 6:31 AM

At this point I’d say you might want to request a diagnostic. If you can’t make it in it should be possible to do one by phone where it would be run over the Internet and the result would be recorded. The warranty on a replacement battery is 90 days.

10 replies

Aug 21, 2019 8:49 AM in response to disxahh

disxahh wrote:
How to run it over the internet?

You would need to call in to Apple support wherever you're located. This may not be possible if you're in a country where Apple doesn't directly provide phone support. In the United States the number is 1-800-275-2273.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

I've only had a diagnostic done in person at an Apple Store, but it was a fairly simple process and I think it's similar over the internet. I had to connect direct to the store's Wi-Fi and then an Apple employee provided a specific URL to enter in Safari, with a specific case number as part of it. Then it would run and come back with a result on the employee's iPad Mini. I believe that a remote one is pretty similar. Some have mentioned it back when iPhone batteries were in high demand and they could reserve a spot in line by doing the diagnostic over the phone first.

Aug 20, 2019 7:59 PM in response to disxahh

disxahh wrote:
yes it was a genuine one and replaced by an authorized repair center. So there’s nothing to worry about it anymore or....?

I certainly understand that it seems there's something wrong, or that one should be able to rely on milestones for battery decline. But the only standard that Apple has is 500 cycles and 80% battery health. Or if the battery fails.

Anything in between is considered normal. I've had it decline from 96 to 94 within two weeks, and then to 88% in another two weeks. I can't necessarily tell if it's just the battery health reading catching up to actual battery health or perhaps a steady decline. There can be weird readings. When battery health first came out some people were reporting a reading of 101%. A battery health reading going up isn't unusual. I'm pretty sure if you bring it in and ask that it be replaced on the basis of it being at 94% they're going to say no.

If you're near an Apple Store you can always request a free diagnostic to see if maybe there's something wrong.

Aug 21, 2019 8:26 PM in response to disxahh

disxahh wrote:
Anyway thank you for your help! And could you please tell me best practices for charging my iPhone.

I know there are a lot of different recommendations out there, but I say use you phone and don’t worry about it. If anything were particularly bad then Apple would build it into their battery management system. The only thing I think is critical is that if it ever goes down to 0% and a controlled auto shutdown, be sure to charge it. The one thing that’s well known to kill batteries is letting it go into deep discharge. 0% isn’t the absolute floor, but self discharge can eventually bring the charge level to a point where the battery suffers permanent damage.

Battery health dropping continuously.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.