Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just added SSD to old Macbook pro - its asking me to select disk to install Mac OS X? its not allowing me to progress

Just added SSD to old Macbook pro (late 2011 model) before handing on - its asking me to select disk to install Mac OS X? its not allowing me to progress, any ideas please?

Thanks

Lawrence

MacBook

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 10:48 AM

You need to launch Disk Utility and erase the physical drive with GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled). If the physical drive is not shown in the left pane of Disk Utility, then click on "View" and select "Show All Devices".

4 replies

Aug 21, 2019 12:47 PM in response to Allan Jones

@Allan Jones, I'm not sure what happened to your post as all that is now shown is a dot.

Allan Jones wrote:
What OS version? I believe it is recommended to use APFS for an SSD if you are running High Sierra 10.13:

File system formats available in Disk Utility on
Mac - Apple Support

When I installed an SSD in my 2012 MBP I formatted it APFS, cloned the old drive to the new one, and it booted first try.

If the system doesn't have the new firmware update yet, then HFS+ is needed for the installer so it can apply the necessary firmware update for the system. The installer will automatically convert the drive to APFS. The only way to have High Sierra or newer use HFS+ for the boot SSD is by modifying the USB installer to force HFS+. I just figured using HFS+ was the safe option since the end results will be the same.

Just added SSD to old Macbook pro - its asking me to select disk to install Mac OS X? its not allowing me to progress

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.