Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5SE Exposed to water

So: my iPhone 5SE was exposed to immersion in pool water while in its OtterBox case. The phone was asleep when this happened. It was NBOT wet, under the Otteruase but some drops of water were evident. I shook the phone with the ports facing down to see if I could get any water drops out........nothing was apparent.

I realized what happened and did NOT try to power on, instead, placed in rice for a day, then allowed to sit in open AC air for another two days.

I connected it to power this AM and I get the black screen with a slow flash Apple logo but nothing more. Is this dead and time to replace it OR can this still come back on after come time being charged?

So that's the basic question. Can I assume that this phone is dead, dead, dead-ski?

Thanks for your help!

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 7:58 AM

3 replies

Aug 21, 2019 8:23 AM in response to Slipstream 50

Depends on what you need out of it. Obviously water got in, and in any case Apple never even claimed that the SE was ever water resistant. Even if it were, Apple's disclaimers that they won't cover liquid damage are solid. And I'm guessing it's out of warranty anyways unless it's one of the last ones Apple sold before discontinuing them.

Yes - it might be possible to get it working again, but really only in order to do data recovery. Rice really does nothing and can even make things worse if wet rice dust dries out. I don't know where this myth started or why it's so commonly done. Maybe a real silica gel desiccant can do something but even then it's fairly limited. If you're lucky then a few of the surface mount cap/resistors either shorted or opened and can be replaced by someone skilled in that kind of work. It would have to be cleaned of any corrosion and any damaged parts would need to be replaced. And if you choose that sort of repair, Apple won't typically do their replacement service if you bring it in.

iPhone 5SE Exposed to water

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.