Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erase hard drive and reset mac os

My imac 10.14.6 is running very slow. I think I need to erase all data and restart new again. How do I do it? How do I get the os software since there is no disc drive. Thanks

Jeff Wu

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 6:26 PM

Here you go: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac ...

It describes all the steps for completely erasing your Mac and configuring it as if it were brand new again.

However, you're better off fixing whatever is wrong with it. If you're interested in doing that, first determine if the same symptoms occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Then, restart your Mac normally. The results of that exercise might indicate whether additional troubleshooting is justified or not.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2019 6:26 PM in response to wu123

Here you go: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac ...

It describes all the steps for completely erasing your Mac and configuring it as if it were brand new again.

However, you're better off fixing whatever is wrong with it. If you're interested in doing that, first determine if the same symptoms occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Then, restart your Mac normally. The results of that exercise might indicate whether additional troubleshooting is justified or not.

erase hard drive and reset mac os

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.