Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ctrl key produces Cmd+Option+Ctrl+Shift

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)

Mojave (version 10.14.5)

I have a brand new Macbook Pro that has an issue with the control key. When I press control it activates the modifier keys (Cmd+Option+Ctrl+Shift) simultaneously. First I thought my control key just wasn't responding, so I ran the virtual keyboard viewer where I realized the control key was activating all four keys.

I thought it might be a hardware issue with the laptop keyboard, but an external keyboard produces the same issue so it appears to be a software issue.

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 11:53 PM

My first thought when I started reading was the same as yours: hardware problem. But just as you said, having the same thing happen with an external keyboard dispels that notion.

Create a new user account (or use the guest account) and test; same problem?

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 21, 2019 10:25 PM in response to mm182

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

"Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase (“Warranty Period”) when used in accordance with Apple`s user manuals (refer to www.apple.com/support/country). Under this warranty, you will be able to direct your claims to Apple even in situations where you purchased the Apple Product from a third party.” [Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty – Accessory - For Apple and Beats Branded Products Only.]

Aug 21, 2019 10:38 PM in response to mm182

Where is that information in your original post? Talk to your employer or work tech support for help. The computer is under warranty, so let them handle the problem.

Please read Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question. We are here to help. We are all users. We are not mind-readers nor clairvoyants. We only know what you write down and tell us. Be specific and thorough. Include your hardware information and installed version of macOS.

Ctrl key produces Cmd+Option+Ctrl+Shift

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.