Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unsupported library

I just bought a new Macbook Air. MacOS Mojave updated. I transferred all data from my old macbook pro which runs on the same software. When I clicked on photos, a message came up: unsupported library. The library "photos library" is from a newer version of Photos. Please upgrade photos to open this library".

Can you help me to solve this problem? Thank you. Ferenc

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 9:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 6:47 PM

Hi ferencfromleanyer,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with Photos. It sounds like you want to open a previous library on your new Mac, but receive a message that Photos needs to be upgraded to open it.

It sounds like both machines have macOS Mojave installed. Have you verified they are both 10.14.6?

If you open Photos and use the drop down menu and select About Photos, what version is showing on both computers? They should both be 4.0.

If you open your Pictures folder in Finder, do you have more than one Photos library? If you do, you can hold down the Option key while launching Photos to select another library.

If everything above checks out, you can also try repairing the library: Repair your library in Photos on Mac

Let me know further details.

Have a fantastic weekend!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2019 6:47 PM in response to ferencfromleanyer

Hi ferencfromleanyer,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with Photos. It sounds like you want to open a previous library on your new Mac, but receive a message that Photos needs to be upgraded to open it.

It sounds like both machines have macOS Mojave installed. Have you verified they are both 10.14.6?

If you open Photos and use the drop down menu and select About Photos, what version is showing on both computers? They should both be 4.0.

If you open your Pictures folder in Finder, do you have more than one Photos library? If you do, you can hold down the Option key while launching Photos to select another library.

If everything above checks out, you can also try repairing the library: Repair your library in Photos on Mac

Let me know further details.

Have a fantastic weekend!

unsupported library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.