Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Final Cut import from an external web camera?

I noticed that under the "import media" button it looks like I can only access the built-in not very good webcam. I was hoping my much better external camera could be used instead but I couldn't find a way to select it. Is there a way to do so?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 3:59 AM

No. Only the built-in camera is supported.

I am curious, though. What webcam would you like to use, and what is your mac model? I’ve tried several webcams and the quality of the built-in “iSight” camera in my oldish 2014 stands up very well.

EDIT: of course you can record video from your webcam with some other software and then import to FCP X.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2019 3:59 AM in response to pik80

No. Only the built-in camera is supported.

I am curious, though. What webcam would you like to use, and what is your mac model? I’ve tried several webcams and the quality of the built-in “iSight” camera in my oldish 2014 stands up very well.

EDIT: of course you can record video from your webcam with some other software and then import to FCP X.

Aug 23, 2019 12:41 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I am using a quite a bit newer 2017 iMac. The difference between it's

built in camera and the Logitech Brio is night and day almost literally

speaking as the built in camera is extremely dark and the Brio looks

totally normal under the same lighting. The built in camera is also

quite fuzzy. I don't know if Apple has any good built in cameras, the

iMac Pro is supposed to be a bit better then the regular iMac.

Can Final Cut import from an external web camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.