Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues With Late August 2019 Update (High Sierra 10.13.6 & Mac Office 16.28)

My MacBook Air has been having issues and difficulty fully implementing late August 2019 updates. Due to various reasons with the DVD Player 6.0, I continue to use High Sierra 10.13.6, as I am a teach and that platform works best for my profession. Due to my school being PC based in the past, I use Mac Office and am running Mac Office 16.28. Usually the Mac Office runs fine; however, both are not running seamlessly lately. For example, Mac Office PowerPoints with imbedded videos are constantly crashing. Furthermore, Apple continue to push out an update every night and it is failing. Whatever is being pushed out from Apple is causing a download error and will not implement. As a result, I wake up everyday to a computer that:

-Has been closed out and my materials and been forced closed

-My Safari , Firefox, and Chrome tabs are all gone and lost.

-Mac Office / Powerpoint that crashes in the middle of my lessons in front of students that have little patience to watch my computer produce the "rainbow spinning ball of doom"...as they say.

-And an Apple Error message that says "Updates Failed" with a description code that contains a nomenclature as long as long as Pi to a thousand places.

Any thoughts and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 3:41 AM

What do you mean that Apple is pushing out nightly updates, this is not the case.

In August they released a Security Update 2019-004, a few days later after realising there was a problem with it, so they released it again, with the same number, confusingly. If you are getting repeated updates in the App Store Updates section, then that is

an indication that the updates have not been installed. To check go to About This Mac> System Report> Software> Installations

click on Install Date twice so you get the most recent installs first. Download the standalone Security Update from here,

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2012?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US once the download has completed double-click on it to start the installation.

Back up your Mac before installing any updates, boot to your Recovery HD and run Disk Utility> First Aid to check for any disk errors. If there are errors run it again until the errors have cleared. Make sure your Mac has enough free space, generally Macs should not run with less than 15-20GBS of free space, as this will affect its performance and could introduce errors.

If you do not see an improvement then try this, https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1970?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

it is ok to install this on a Mac that already is on 10.13.6, this combo update will reset some system files and caches.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2019 3:41 AM in response to egingerich

What do you mean that Apple is pushing out nightly updates, this is not the case.

In August they released a Security Update 2019-004, a few days later after realising there was a problem with it, so they released it again, with the same number, confusingly. If you are getting repeated updates in the App Store Updates section, then that is

an indication that the updates have not been installed. To check go to About This Mac> System Report> Software> Installations

click on Install Date twice so you get the most recent installs first. Download the standalone Security Update from here,

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2012?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US once the download has completed double-click on it to start the installation.

Back up your Mac before installing any updates, boot to your Recovery HD and run Disk Utility> First Aid to check for any disk errors. If there are errors run it again until the errors have cleared. Make sure your Mac has enough free space, generally Macs should not run with less than 15-20GBS of free space, as this will affect its performance and could introduce errors.

If you do not see an improvement then try this, https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1970?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

it is ok to install this on a Mac that already is on 10.13.6, this combo update will reset some system files and caches.

Aug 28, 2019 7:53 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Greetings Again Eau Rouge

So I followed the advice. Installed the latest update. Still have the same issues. PowerPoint is crashing / malfunctioning. Here are the parameters:

-iOS 10.13.6

-Platform: High Sierra

-Connection: HDMI dongle 

-Issue: Video is being observed as a picture and won't play (usually the cursor becomes a finger and I can select play...it does not do this). The video is ignored and will not play at all.

Issues With Late August 2019 Update (High Sierra 10.13.6 & Mac Office 16.28)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.