Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notification in calendar: Won iPhone Xs Max

I had something appear on my calendar indicating I've won an iPhone X s Max, and it provided a link to click on. Obviously, I didn't click. Is this a scam/phising?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 11:02 AM

I got this just now also -- it looks to me like it's a google calendar invite issue -- if you guys can confirm if you're using google calendars, that'd be helpful. If so, here's what I did to hopefully prevent future instances of this. Log in to your gmail account at calendar.google.com, then click on the gear icon on the upper right, select settings in the left-hand menu, and then click on "Event Settings" -- there's an entry: "Automatically add invitations", that in my case was set to "Yes" (this is the default) -- I changed it to "No, only display invitations to which I have responded".

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2019 11:02 AM in response to ARC2498

I got this just now also -- it looks to me like it's a google calendar invite issue -- if you guys can confirm if you're using google calendars, that'd be helpful. If so, here's what I did to hopefully prevent future instances of this. Log in to your gmail account at calendar.google.com, then click on the gear icon on the upper right, select settings in the left-hand menu, and then click on "Event Settings" -- there's an entry: "Automatically add invitations", that in my case was set to "Yes" (this is the default) -- I changed it to "No, only display invitations to which I have responded".

Aug 25, 2019 5:30 PM in response to ARC2498

I just had FIVE of these spam calendars entries appear in my Google calendar over the weekend! Each spanned two days within August 2019:

>23rd - 24th

>24th - 25th

>25th - 26th

>26th - 27th

>27th - 28th

Not impressed. I've followed the instructions to no longer show invites that haven't been accepted, as well as to not show invites that have been declined. I also flagged each entry as spam, but was annoyed that I wasn't able to flag the entry as spam within the calendar apps that I use (Apple's default calendar app and also 'Calendars'), and instead had to log into my Google calendar via a web browser.

Aug 23, 2019 10:47 AM in response to ARC2498

That's weird, that just happened to me too. It surprised me that your post was made today lol sounds like lots of people received the notification. I have an Android phone and it looks like the next five days in my calendar have a notification for "winning a free iPhone XS" that appeared out of nowhere. Why would so many people receive it? Did you receive the notification on iPhone, or an Android like me?

Aug 23, 2019 12:01 PM in response to bulbous

Yes, I too am getting this through my google calendars, plus I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 if that makes any difference. What scares me is that I did what you said and changed the settings to "No", and 10 minutes later the same events popped up again for the next 3 days.

I hope google becomes aware of this, because breaches in security like this scare me :(

Aug 23, 2019 12:49 PM in response to Hop Frog

Did you delete the previous event? Or decline it? I had the same thing, but I had deleted the event -- and it happened again the 2nd time I deleted them. The third time I declined, and changed the setting (as the mashable article I mentioned previously suggests), so it doesn't show declined events, and they disappeared, and haven't come back.

Aug 27, 2019 6:33 AM in response to ARC2498

Just started getting tons of them last night and the emails are weird also because the from is my own iCloud email and the to is my gmail. So don't understand this, but just made the Google Calendar change that was shown on page 1 in the link, so will see if I get anymore. This has been a nightmare are tho...

Notification in calendar: Won iPhone Xs Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.