Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod splits album into many

Ok, so I have read all the tips about checking compilation, same artist, the adding a space then deleting it and nothing works. For example, I have the original recording from the cast of Spamalot and when I added to iTunes then my iPod touch, it places the main recording as Original cast for album then, on my iPod touch it separates all the music as individual for each performer. So, I went to iTunes and made all of them as Spamalot for album artist and checked compilation and they are grouped in iTunes under Spamalot but on iPod touch they are still under the”o’s” and not Spamalot and they are still all broken up. What the **** gives? Seems the only way to avoid all this is to make playlists. What am I missing? I don’t understand what’s going on. Like I said, I select all songs of a particular album and do the whole get info tips but nothing is working. I am so irritated and frustrated. Anyone help?

Posted on Aug 24, 2019 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 2:49 AM

The Album Artists field should have Various Artists typed into it. *

Look at the following screenshots for a better idea of how this works. The screenshots show the information for all the songs on an album. That is, I have selected the complete album, even if it means grouping them in the Songs view:

For a single artist album, the Album Artist field can be blank or show the artist's name and the compilation box should be off, even if the album is Dire Straits Greatest Hits (i.e. a collection album):

For a single artist album with guest musicians on some songs, enter the main artist name in to the Album Artist field and again, the compilation box should be off:

For a proper Compilation album, that is, a collection of songs each by a different artist, the fields should look like the one below. This would appear to include the Spamalot album that you specifically mention. This time, it is important to have compilation turned on:

If you change this in your iTunes Library, you need to Sync your iPod with iTunes for those changes to be effective on the iPod. If you use Manually Manage for your iPod, you need to manually remove the album from the iPod and then put on the replacement version that you have changed.

* sentence edited by author after initial posting, for clarity.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2019 2:49 AM in response to photopyrate

The Album Artists field should have Various Artists typed into it. *

Look at the following screenshots for a better idea of how this works. The screenshots show the information for all the songs on an album. That is, I have selected the complete album, even if it means grouping them in the Songs view:

For a single artist album, the Album Artist field can be blank or show the artist's name and the compilation box should be off, even if the album is Dire Straits Greatest Hits (i.e. a collection album):

For a single artist album with guest musicians on some songs, enter the main artist name in to the Album Artist field and again, the compilation box should be off:

For a proper Compilation album, that is, a collection of songs each by a different artist, the fields should look like the one below. This would appear to include the Spamalot album that you specifically mention. This time, it is important to have compilation turned on:

If you change this in your iTunes Library, you need to Sync your iPod with iTunes for those changes to be effective on the iPod. If you use Manually Manage for your iPod, you need to manually remove the album from the iPod and then put on the replacement version that you have changed.

* sentence edited by author after initial posting, for clarity.

iPod splits album into many

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.