Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my flash drive used to work with my macbook but now the laptop cannot recognize

What do I do if my flash drive cannot be recognized by the MacBook anymore. It doesn’t even appear on Disk Utilities

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 8:29 AM

4 replies

Aug 25, 2019 10:58 AM in response to fi256

Try another USB port. If you are using a hub or other adapter, then use another adapter or plug the drive directly into the computer.

In Disk Utility click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" to see if the physical flash drive shows up in the left pane of Disk Utility.

If you have another computer try to re-partition and format the flash drive on it, then see if the Mac will see the flash drive. Maybe even try reformatting the flash drive on a Windows PC. I've had issues erasing some flash drives on one version of macOS and reading it on another version of macOS.

I've had issues with some flash drives being properly recognized at times on a Mac. If the flash drive was made into a bootable drive, macOS may not always be able to erase it without first writing zeroes to the drive or reformatting it on another PC. Or perhaps your flash drive is beginning to fail. USB flash drives are not the most reliable devices.

my flash drive used to work with my macbook but now the laptop cannot recognize

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.