Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happened to my iphone X display?

hi,

few days ago my iphone X had some green flicker then the next day the screen is almost completely dead and time to time the screen turns on with pink stripe on the side or full green stripe screen, etc. I was wonder if I need to change my display or a cause by water?

Thank you,

yunbin

iPhone X

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 11:58 AM

11 replies

Aug 25, 2019 3:43 PM in response to yunbw

yunbw wrote:
managed to get it backup as the screen was able to function for couple of mins. So, if im going into apple, they will offer me a replacement by paying couple hundreds for it?

$549 plus tax directly from Apple in the United States, unless somehow it’s determined that there is no liquid damage other than the screen assembly. There are other possibilities, but I’d be surprised if none of the liquid contact indicators are set.

iPhone Repair - Official Apple Support

Aug 25, 2019 12:26 PM in response to yunbw

You have no way of knowing exactly what the issue is. It could be due to reduced water resistance allowing liquid to get in your phone. But obviously it’s damaged in some way. If there’s any evidence that liquid got in (especially on the liquid contact indicators) then Apple or an AASP will only offer a full replacement.

I would recommend backing it up now to iTunes and archiving the backup. If there was liquid entry, it can take time before failures manifest themselves.

Aug 25, 2019 1:33 PM in response to yunbw

yunbw wrote:
I'm trying to backup but currently the screen is dead and I cant let my phone to gain access to my phone in order to backup through itunes.

I would have recommended doing that while you still had minimal functionality. If you bring it to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to request repair, all they will offer is a full service replacement since it will most likely show signs of liquid damage. If that's acceptable to you, then it would be up to you to restore your data to a new device based on whatever backup you have.

If you absolutely need to get the data, it might be possible to get someone to (at least temporarily) install a working screen assembly and then make a backup to iTunes. While the screen is removed, whoever is doing the work can determine if there's any additional damage or if the liquid contact indicators have turned red. This would be going outside of Apple's repair ecosystem, so there's the chance that you might be denied a replacement through Apple. It really depends on whether or not the data is more important than getting an official Apple replacement.

what happened to my iphone X display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.