Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change apple id to hotmail email!!!

Why the **** does apple make it such a big deal...I cannot swap a non existing email (currently my apple ID to my long existing hotmail address.

Why...!!!!

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 10:30 PM

6 replies

Sep 2, 2019 7:03 AM in response to joemcc007

Was the Hotmail address previously associated with an Apple ID? Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, for example as a Reachable at or Rescue e-mail address, then it can't be reused with another Apple ID for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again. There have also been posts that if you delete an ID associated with the address, you can never reuse the address. You will need to get another e-mail address to use as your Apple ID or you can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

Aug 26, 2019 4:36 PM in response to joemcc007

You have yet to explain why you cannot edit your current primary email address. You cannot edit any Apple email address used as an AppleID (@icloud.com, @me.com or @mac.com), But you can edit any third party email address you use unless the one you want to use is already in use as a registered AppleID.

But the process is simple and very straightforward outside of those specific restrictions - Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Sep 1, 2019 9:38 PM in response to Michael Black

Hi Michael in my initial email I thought I had explained the issue quite clearly....I cannot swap a non existing email (currently my apple ID) to my long existing hotmail address.

I keep getting the same error saying that I cannot use my hotmail address.

I have an IT background and have followed all the steps you have mentioned above and also understand that some emails cannot be used to set up an Apple ID, these do not include hotmail.

change apple id to hotmail email!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.