Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant error - can't transfer files from a newer macbook to an older iMac.

I can't use Migration Assistant to move settings and documents from an newer MacBook to an older iMac. The iMac has an older version of MacOS, and cannot be further updated to a newer OS version. Because the OS on the target iMac is older, Migration Assistant will not transfer files from the newer MacBook.

I've also tried restoring a Time Machine backup from the MacBook to the iMac, but again, since the OS on the iMac is older than the OS on the (dying) MacBook, I can't restore the backup to the iMac.

Has anyone discovered a solution to this problem?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 10:35 AM

Yes, I understand that, but there may be files created by the newer OS that the old OS can't use or that have been moved.

As far as Safari bookmarks you can try this:

From your Finder "Go" menu > "Go to folder" then copy & paste this file path:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Click Go.

Copy them to the same location on the other Mac.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2019 10:35 AM in response to Masalajam

Yes, I understand that, but there may be files created by the newer OS that the old OS can't use or that have been moved.

As far as Safari bookmarks you can try this:

From your Finder "Go" menu > "Go to folder" then copy & paste this file path:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Click Go.

Copy them to the same location on the other Mac.

Migration assistant error - can't transfer files from a newer macbook to an older iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.